Thread: Has anyone tried scanning this with the probe?

Default Has anyone tried scanning this with the probe?

I have been thinking about buying the probe and scanning software, and was wondering if anyone has tried this. I am making a 34 Chevy Wooden Car from plans that I purchased, and have cut out all of the pieces, sanded, and am ready for glue up. I copied parts of the plan full size and cut out the paper pieces then stuck them with glue to cardboard to make templates in case I want to build another one in the future. My question is could each piece be scanned from my cut out wooden pieces and carved out separately so I would not have to cut the pieces out with a scrollsaw on my next car?

Short answer is yes. Are the pieces flat or do they have some shape to them? I'm wondering if they would be carved or cut on the CarveWright, or both.

Some of them are flat, but some have complex shapes. The hood and trunk are solid pieces of wood about 3x5 inches. Even if some of the parts can be scanned it would save all of those hours at the scrollsaw. Wheels headlights etc can be purchased already made so it would be the main pieces that i would want to scan. The sides, bottom, dash, seats, and top, are all fairly flat and would be cut or routed out. I was just wondering if it would be worth it to purchase the probe and software.

can you send some pictures of the parts so we can see what thet look like.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Here is a picture of the fender, the side, and the grill. The side could be created in the designer software, but the fender and the grill has complex shapes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car Parts.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	56435

In short, yes -easily. I have started using hot melt glue to hold my pieces to the scanning sled.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com