Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need information on making a pattern like this.....

Default Need information on making a pattern like this.....

I would like to make a pattern something like the attached photo. I have the 2-3D programs but haven't used them enough
    to get a decent pattern. I can get the outline, use the puffing tool but can't figure out how to put a face on the tomato.
    Any ideas on how to accomplish it would be greatly appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tamato Sample.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	56316

Hi Sharon,

I would probably just create recessed ovals for the "eye whites" then raised ovals for the iris's. The eyebrows could be just be a couple vectors with a v-bit assignment, or you could draw a closed shape and recess it so the carving bit would carve the brows if you want to keep it simple. The lower lip would be a raised shape, as well as the cheeks. The mouth would be a slightly recessed area. I probably would not model the white upside-down teardrop shape...might look like it's a wart or something (however, you could paint that on and would look fine). I hope that helps!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

3. Default

You might be able to draw shapes with the spline tool then give them a puffing feature and then give each shape a [Carving] merge style [addative or subtractive]. Then you would have to play around with the heights and depths.

Heres a smiley face I made by doing this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmileyMerge.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	682.2 KB 
ID:	56319

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Malmstrom View Post
    You might be able to draw shapes with the spline tool then give them a puffing feature and then give each shape a [Carving] merge style [addative or subtractive]. Then you would have to play around with the heights and depths...

Alan
    Yep, that's how the modeling tools work.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thanks for the ideas. Alan, your example was kind of what I was looking for. I was brain dead last night when trying to design this....I totally forgot to use the Merge. Now it's back to work and see what I can come up with. Thanks.

6. Default

Being able to add in some vector lines with a selected depth profile is a nice feature. It can also be turned into a pattern by grouping all and then right clicking the group and choosing Make Pattern. Thats a nice way to make carved out areas carve without having to put in a bit while carving.

Learned that from Joe at the CNC Jamboree.

Alan

Sharon perhaps this will give you some ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tomato smile1.JPG   tomato smile2.jpg  
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Eddie...now that is the results that I'm trying to accomplish. I will have to keep trying. I can't seem to get the recessed mouth. I made my stem and tomato as two separate pieces and the lines of the tomato shows though the stem.

Alan...I haven't used the depth profile all that much but I think I'll try it on the eye brows and see what happens. Hopefullly I can come out with something half way good before I pull all my hair out.

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

Awesome detail Eddie, you are very creative.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Eddie, Has anyone told you, that you make cute tomatoes ? Nice work, my friend.

Capt Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast