Thread: How do I....?

Default How do I....?

I just purchased a new CarveWright CNC Router and am attempting to make a Mancala Game Board. I have drawn out the board in the software, but I would like to taper the pockets. I would like to know how to do this within the software; can someone give me some hints. The pockets need to be tapered from the outside of the pocket to the inside.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

For your pocket assign a domed surface and invert it. If you have the 2d/3d new software the puffing tool and bubble makes a lot better pocket.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I was not able to get the dome function to do what I wanted on a project. I made some patterns including dome and cylinder patterns. I think they may work for you. I threw them together to illustrate how the two can be used to layout a mancala board. Take a look at how the patterns are grouped, and note that the dome patterns are "clipped". This is done to properly merge the patterns together to get the desired result. I did not take a lot of care in laying this board out; I just wanted to illustrate how the patterns can be pasted together. You may want to resize the patterns. Ask if you need help in doing this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mancala board.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	56327

mancala game board.mpc
    Last edited by DickB; 10-06-2012 at 09:32 PM.

I ended up using the feathering tool and it worked OK, but I think the puffing tool and bubble would work better.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, using DickB's MPC I tried a circle equal to dia. of the hole, with snap on and they have to match the dia. then apply a 90 deg 'V" bit
    about 1/16, 1/8 etc to the circle and you can get a taper around the hole, if that is what you are looking for.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."