Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean-up Carve Tutorial / Tips or Trick

Default Clean-up Carve Tutorial / Tips or Trick

Does anyone have a tutorial written or tip and trick on how to product a clean-up carving?

Meaning first carve to ruff it out basically in draft mode and then come back and repeat the same carve
    1/32 deeper to clean up the carve

Dvel56

Make two project files of the same carving. One with the carve depth 1/32 lower. Carve the first one at normal height. After carving is done, select the lower depth project.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by dvel56 View Post
    Does anyone have a tutorial written or tip and trick on how to product a clean-up carving?

Meaning first carve to ruff it out basically in draft mode and then come back and repeat the same carve
    1/32 deeper to clean up the carve

Dvel56
    I don't see any advantage/gain doing that, but then again, I've never tried it on the CarveWright. Seems to me for the best result and overall time efficiency, just use Bit Optimization: BEST on your patterns, then when uploading to the memory card, select OPTIMAL for the carve quality. Easy and simple.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

There are some disadvantages to the second carving idea. During a first carve, the wood is supported as the carving proceeds by the wood which is not yet been carved. During a second carve, delicate parts of the carve will not benefit from this type of support and can break out.

What I have done very successfully is to pass over in a second "carve" with a diamond burr 1/64 deeper than the first carve. This works so well that I think LHR should have such a burr developed to sell to its customers. Why not have the machine do the sanding for you?

You could do a pattern with a reverse side. On the back side do the pattern a 32nd shallower then on the front put the pattern full depth. When the machine asks to have the board flipped don't. Just run it again on the same side the carve will cut again over the same place only at the deeper depth.
    I've never tried this but it sounds good to me.
    Richard

If it is a job to go to work, learn something new. Life is to short to waste it on something you don't love.

The sanding (De-burr) with a diamond bit is what I'm looking to do. I'm just having trouble getting the second carve to run or repeat and clean up the carving without starting the the whole darn project over. How does one get the carve to repeat the exact same carve as the first is the real question.

Here is what I do. I run the first carve with the carving bit and use a shim (like a box cutter blade) under the bit on the touch. When this slightly higher carve is finished, I switch the carving bit with the diamond burr and run it again. It is important not to release the rollers so that the board is not remeasured.

One can experiment with the quality of the carving. For example, the first carve could be on best and the burr sand could be on optimal.

That is what I'm trying to do but what are the steps or what does one input into the machine to repeat the carve.

Do you just reselect the project and let the machine run through all the set-up and bit install or is the repeat option available for this?

In your example do you have 2 identical projects on the memory card/ one for carving and then one for sanding?

Thank
    Dvel56

Quote Originally Posted by dvel56 View Post
    That is what I'm trying to do but what are the steps or what does one input into the machine to repeat the carve.

Do you just reselect the project and let the machine run through all the set-up and bit install or is the repeat option available for this?

In your example do you have 2 identical projects on the memory card/ one for carving and then one for sanding?

Thank
    Dvel56
    There is no automatic button or way to do this.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

As long as you do not release the board, the machine will remember the size and not remeasure it. After the first carve, you just choose the next project (which could be the same or a different project file) and after some bit and depth checking, away it will go. (Although it has been discussed by LHR, there is not a repeat project operation yet.) Experiment with a small project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast