Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: my improved sled

Check this tips and tricks out for help. http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_Apr08.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I'm a little mixed up on making a sled, I'm not lazy... as usual I don't understand the tolerences that we are allowed, the height, width and length, and the thicknes on the top board, and when doing a .25 broard do you have to use another .25 to make up for the .5 height tolerance... would it be posible to get these measurements for the sled...Iv'e had this machine going on 8 months and thought I would be farther along on learning the buttons than I am, I met someone last weekend that pograms 3-d models for CNC machines they said they could teach me the programs, I so need the hands on.... my light isn't to bright if you know what I mean.

Lawrence if you are going to the conference, any chance of you "showing off" your sled? This will be my 1st conference and it would be really cool if folks would display not only some of their projects, but also some of their "home grown" tools such as the sled. I have now had my CW almost 3 months and have learned a great deal from these forums. I am looking forward toward learning more in person.

I REALLY wish I were going but my work schedule just isn't allowing me to attend (I'm retiring in November from the Air Force)

I'm happy to answer any questions I can- the concept is really pretty simple and it actually works well.

Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrence; 05-21-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Hellloooooo. I guess if would have gone to the beginning of this thread....... Sorry... my bad.

Not sure if anyone has asked, but do you have a pdf on your sled that's in that youtube video? Looks pretty simple, but just thinking of those that like pics & instructions. It's really Michael Tyler's fault since his POM pdfs are right on the money! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    I REALLY wish I were going but my work schedule just isn't allowing me to attend (I'm retiring in November from the Air Force)

I'm happy to answer any questions I can- the concept is really pretty simple and it actually works well.

Lawrence
    Last edited by chebytrk; 05-22-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

no pdf or even build pics. I really did make this one by the seat of my pants. I didn't even know if it would work when I was making it (it does, quite well)

I do plan, however, to make another (lighter) one in the future and will try to document this one better.

Lawrence

Check out these T-slot bits and T-slot inserts. I think these could be quite useful in the sled design. One can use the keyhole feature to cut rows of slots in the adjustable floor. The floor could be like the tables of all of those other CNC machines.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...435,46176&ap=1

I bought one of these bits and a bag of inserts.

We are both thinking in the same line. My next iteration (I hope) will include something similar to those-- I've also been considering how to "clamp" the pieces and I believe that the CW could create ramped cam locks which could then be used on the sled... My brain is certainly going in circles on the best way to accomplish it.

Another method I've considered is a "self centering" type of mechanism under the floor that would work similar to one of this
    http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-376-S.../dp/B0000WUHWE
    to self center left and right and front to back...

thanks for the tip though- your work is definitely an inspiration to me to think out of the box a bit.

Lawrence

The T-slots would not be that useful for clamping down the board alone. The T-slots would be better used to hold more elaborate clamps that clamp the board. The fun would be experimenting with different types of clamps. That is a good idea, a self centering clamp. Or a clamp which allows for the board to be inserted and removed from the sled without having to release the sled. Or clamps to hold odd shapes and so on...

Lee Valley also has Handscrew kits. These are threaded rods with half right hand and the other half lefthand threads, which when turned one direction would tighten and turned the other direction would loosen while centering your board in the middle.http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43838,47843
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast