Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: my improved sled

Very nice !!!!

Al
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    The adjustable floor/thickness idea is ingenious! Very cool, Lawrence. Thank you for posting this.
    It is!! I'm building one of those as soon as I can. I just made several preset sleds for some cribbage boards but this one sled will replace them all! Great job Lawrence and thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing, it a really great adjustable sled...
    Andrea

Amazing and eliminates having to plane 25/32 boards to 3/4 to match my sleds. Only shortcoming I see is that cutouts could be a problem, but that needs investigation. It's been a while since I did a cutout on a wide board, but I think the actual measuring is bypassed and your are just asked for the thickness. If that is correct, then cutouts will work, but may scar the surface - or use sacrificial 1/8" mdf under the piece. Where do you get your 2 sided tape? I am having trouble finding it.
    Thanks
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Lowes has 2 sided carpet tape that works great. I use the one with the fiber, not the plain 2 sided like scotts tape.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I have a sled similar to this and i plan to rebuild some of it, The "u" box seems like it can be made from 1/2" Baltic birch as opposed to 3/4. This will significantly reduce the weight and if you use the jog to touch then you dont have to worry about the bit missing the rails on the side when measuring.
    Stephen Allen
    Patterns By Stephen
    Pattern Super Store

Thanks guys- Hope I can answer a couple of questions / clear things up here

1. There isn't really a "plan" for this... sorry... I really winged it as I went along and have added/adjusted it. I do hope to make a sled in the future that will be made of thinner, lighter materials and that will not be so over-engineered. If I can make it so that this sled can fit *broken down into a flat rate "game" box, I *may put it up for sale after I test it.

2. Cut outs work- and yes it scars up the face like here. I just filled it with wall paste and painted over it... worked just fine A replicable face would be preferable though.

I used this sled in my "ornament" video last year
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s81Q...7&feature=plcp
    this was before I put on the end plates, and some tape was required... I know better now

I REALLY recommend turners tape- I get mine here. Yes, it is pricy... but it lasts a VERY long time as you only need to use a little bit (a very little bit) as it is a pressure sensitive adhesive. It goes on strong and holds even stronger after going under the CW rollers.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...-x-36-yds.aspx

Steve, I'm not sure how to answer your question... I just use "center" and it works. For design, I just program the piece onto a board the actual size of the board I put on the sled... sometimes I get a *hair off on my centering, but I clean this up afterwards. I think there would be a way to put it on the corner, but I haven't sussed that out yet... I'm pretty dumb (and stubborn) sometimes.

Chay- it is 14x26ishx4ish.. but I think this is actually too big. My next one will be smaller.

Thanks again all, and please (of course) feel free to copy and improve on (as long as you share your experiences!), this idea.

Lawrence

Lawrence, That is a nice sled, I have been looking it over and I have decided to make one like yours if you don't mind on my next day off. You had mention that you would make it a different size? Before I start building it do you have any other suggestions on the size. I made a few sleds any They really don't match your skill. The wood scraps that I have left are all dClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-20 19.01.24.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	634.2 KB 
ID:	56589ifferent thickness. I have been cutting Junipher logs to about 3/4 inch but they are never trun. Here is a pic of one

very nice... I am new to this so have a lot to learn.

I'm a little mixed up on making a sled, I'm not lazy... as usual I don't understand the tolerences that we are allowed, the height, width and length, and the thicknes on the top board, and when doing a .25 broard do you have to use another .25 to make up for the .5 height tolerance... would it be posible to get these measurements for the sled...Iv'e had this machine going on 8 months and thought I would be farther along on learning the buttons than I am, I met someone last weekend that pograms 3-d models for CNC machines they said they could teach me the programs, I so need the hands on.... my light isn't to bright if you know what I mean.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast