Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MDF+centerline+epoxy...

Default MDF+centerline+epoxy...

I'm making a workbench with a 3/4" MDF top that I plan on carving my business name into. I'll be putting about 2 or 3 coats of polycrilic to keep the centerline edges sharp during carving. My issue is that I don't have a planer or jointer, how can I trim the epoxy flush to the surface after it has cured? What if I use clear shelf liner on it during the carve, use a squeezgee type tool to level the epoxy and then remove the shelf liner?

All thoughts & comments appreciated.

Thanks!
    ~ Mark K

Belt or Pad Sander.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

A cabinet scraper should work well for you also

I like to seal MDF with Zissner (sp?) sanding sealer, then carve. It soaks into the MDF and provides a nice clean edge to the cut. Best of all you don't need to do any heavy sanding/planing after you apply it (it soaks in). If anything a light hand sanding will do.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

+1 to Jeff's suggestion on using shellac as a sealer. I like Zinsser ok, but find that I get less "yellow" hue if I mix my own shellac from super-blonde flakes. I like these

http://www.shellac.net/SuperBlondePic.html

I don't get any issues with freshness this way and it adds very little color.

As far as scraping- I like card scrapers and hand planes for leveling the surface out after filling.

Lawrence

Lawrence

Thank you all for your great comments & suggestions! I've never worked with epoxy in this manner before so this is all new to me.
    Last edited by bluecobra; 10-04-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    ~ Mark K

Default Benchtop Update

I finally got around to doing this. This wasn't meant to be perfect but more of a skill builder for me.

The bench top is 48" x 20". I live in a second floor apt so space is limited, hence the smaller size. Bench top is made from 4 pcs of mdf; one bottom piece and 3 top pieces. The top middle piece is 14" wide to fit in the CompuCarve. I could have split the top into 2 pieces of 10" but didn't feel comfortable having a seam run straight up the middle of the top.

The carve was filled in with epoxy tinted with blue pigment, belt sanded flush, assembled (with wood glue and screws) and then sanded and sealed with 6 coats of semi-gloss Polycrylic.

The pictures tell the rest of the story...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails btopexplod.JPG   btopcarved.jpg   btopfilled.jpg   wbench2.jpg  

wbench3.jpg  
    Last edited by bluecobra; 12-08-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    ~ Mark K

Shazaam!! That came out sweet!! What did you fill the letters with? That is one sweet looking top!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
    Shazaam!! That came out sweet!! What did you fill the letters with? That is one sweet looking top!
    Thanks for the compliments Bert! I updated my post to include that info.
    ~ Mark K

Very nice! It came out great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast