Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: limited memory card capacity

1. Thumbs up limited memory card capacity

I am currently carving a headboard that when completed will measure 60" wide by 27" high. My initial plan was 72" wide by ~30" high.
    I'm carving it in three sections of 60" X 9", using 2 X 10 select pine.
    the reason I had to reduce the size is because when I tried to save the 72" X 9" pattern to the card, I would get the "card full" error.
    The pattern is .800 deep.
    I only needed a couple of MBytes more to fit it on the card.
    On a positive note, I have done two sections so far and I was happy that the machine was able to carve exactly as drawn, so that the carving matched perfectly when the sections are aligned together.
    I'm using the latest version of the software. Long ago when I tried to carve a 48" diameter Mayan calendar, It was ruined because the carving came out different lenght on different sections. The measuring routines in the machine have improved quite a lot since then.
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

I've seen that on 2 projects since the new puffing and sweep features have been introduced. Both similar sized to your situation. "Someone" in Texas told me it couldn't hardly ever happens, well actually, they said it never happened to them. It appears to be related to depth as well as height and length. It's like every single pixle has to have information assigned, instead of just an outline.

I don't know if I'm just slow to figure things out but I realized that if you move your carve image so that only part of it shows on the board (say it's a really big design and you have to carve it in sections) Only the part that shows on the board records as space on the card, even though the file may be still really large.

We do need a new way to read information, but then, do we really want a 30 hour carve? Ten is about as much as I have patience for. People using other computer operated equipment see that "new" technology is based on the computers available when the product is being invented. By the time it is actually realeased that computer is already old. There's new embroidery equipment still running on Corel Draw 3.

I'll be looking forward to more input on the matter

Best of luck

G.P.

It would be nice to be able to use other compact flash memory. Not sure if one was formated with Carvewright software if a larger card could be used. I'll need to try that sometime.

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

It would be nice to be able to use other compact flash memory. Not sure if one was formated with Carvewright software if a larger card could be used. I'll need to try that sometime.
    It wouldn't, as our software limits what it writes to the cards to 8 megs(-257k), and besides, its a proprietary connector and hardware inside the card.

So with this along with more complex and larger designs potentially, can the memory on a new card be increased and made available to consumers?
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

Suggest making 2 files the same and then with one, delete some of the carved elements and on the other leave the ones that were deleted on the first project. If you have different patterns along the board it would work.... A Large Carve Region would work as you don't remove the board from the machine and just shut down and insert the 2nd card to pick up and finish the project. A 30 hour carve broken down into 2 fifteen hour carves would be good.... Especially if you had a power blip....

DO you use a Batter Back Up USP Power for your CW?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Suggest making 2 files the same and then with one, delete some of the carved elements and on the other leave the ones that were deleted on the first project. If you have different patterns along the board it would work.... A Large Carve Region would work as you don't remove the board from the machine and just shut down and insert the 2nd card to pick up and finish the project. A 30 hour carve broken down into 2 fifteen hour carves would be good.... Especially if you had a power blip....

AL
    I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where power glitches are very rare.
    Covering parts of the pattern with a zero carve region is a good idea, thanks. Worth experimenting with. Hopefully the machine will locate the board with enough precision to resume the carve without any defect. Lenght and width measuring seem precise enough, but surface height I don't trust much.

Going to a .800" depth sure increase the MByte count, and the toolpath increase in lenght accordingly.

For the record, the first carve was 16hrs, second was 12hrs, third wil be around 12hrs also.
    The carving is one of the chinese grayscale I got, a dragon and phoenix theme on a fan shape frame. it really stands-out when carved big. I promise I'll post pictures of the carving and assembly and finishing process.
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

Al is that the same as a DH (designated hitter) for the UPS .

quote AL
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Missed that... CRS..... Can't Remember Stuff.... Lke check what I actually typed.... Strike ONE....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I had a job carving 6" wide molding from 1 1/2" poplar - max depth .75. I had to get the client to agree to 6ft long instead of 8 ft, because that is all that would fit on the card. That was an 18 hour carve on Best - 8 of them.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast