Thread: CW capable ?

Question CW capable ?

Greetings! I was curious about some things with the CW I would like to wrap up with one project. Basically it's a round top end-table that pushes the boundaries of the CW machine. Does anyone think this feasible?

Question#1: The 24" (diameter) top will be convex (pinch?) for exception of outside 1/4" lip. (lip needed later) At 24in, this would have to be two pieces. Is it possible to make two pieces line up? Perhaps over throw each half circle and reduce the jointing edge until perfect circle? I don't have the vertex software but do have autocad and illustrator. How would I go about this splice?

Question#2: The center of this pinched top have an inlay cutout for the letter K (my last name of course!) I haven't seen too many inlay posts around. For a reason? I realize I may be doing this freehand after the splice.

After the top has this, I will be filling the table top back level with a resin or clear coat bar topper. Hoping to see the effect of the pinch through this clear top -perhaps the darker color inlay will pronounce it more.

Question#3: Am I off my rocker with this? And did I explain myself well enough?

Haha. Thanks for your feedback. Just venturing other avenues, and hoping to get a lot of learning from this.

It's possible. I've made several of my lake maps in two and even three pieces, and others have made large signs. Here is an example: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...272#post162272 I do cut my maps with a half-inch or so overlap, then carefully rip a bit off each board until the carving matches up. I use 12" nominal boards and temporarily screw a 1" wide board on the edge that will get carved to keep the machine rollers happy without wasting the project board..

The carve out for the inlay will havce to stradel the 2 haves, but the inlay can be done in one piece.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

That map came out nice DickB. You'd be hard pressed to fix that oval with a traditional router if it didn't work out hehe. I can't even see the splices!

I had something else in mind, but this may do. It's basically puff stepping. I see the inlay is going to be another animal, but I will play with that before I do this.
    Any tips for splicing? Would it be all within this software, or using something else?
    This wood is going to be red oak, end-table will be like a small hall table. And of course I'll try to make two. I was thinking dark stain and gold inlay, but I may not be able to follow suit with quality royal gold workmanship ! :X
    Ah heck, if anything, I'll add some sand to the resin I fill this with and blur it all out haha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PreviewTest.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	872.3 KB 
ID:	56134

Edit: I got the whole bit collection kit. Looks like I still need a 1/16" straight bit for the inlay..
    Last edited by interloper; 09-26-2012 at 03:54 PM.

It sounds like a very interesting project. Please keep us updated with your progress and pictures would be nice of the finished project. Good Luck
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Thanks! I just delivered another of the large rectangular maps today.

I don't have any particular tricks for splicing. I use Designer only. I initially lay out my project on the largest board Designer will allow, which of course is smaller than the final project. Then I group everything and copy everything, including the group name. Next I open a new project, using my map as an example, on a board 48" x 12". Then paste. Select only the group name, not the items in the group. Then grab a corner and drag to enlarge the project, which of course will spill off the board. When satisfied with the size, save the project as map_top, then save again as map_bot, so the new size will be identical on both boards. Delete any vector carves or cuts that fall off the board. Create a .001" deep rectangular region, and size and place it to cover up the part of the project that falls off the board. The dotted line represents the 1" strip that I use to avoid waste. The carving extends just a fraction of an inch into that board. I've reused the board many times. I'm actually using 12" nominal, or 11.25", stock.

After carving and ripping the boards, I just edge glue them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laketop.PNG 
Views:	44 
Size:	547.3 KB 
ID:	56135

Very nice, DickB. Really impressed.

Capt Barry