Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Condiment Caddy - Project of the Month OCTOBER 2012

Default The Condiment Caddy - Project of the Month OCTOBER 2012

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for OCTOBER 2012)... The Condiment Caddy!
    The Condiment Caddy makes an attractive addition to the table to hold your favorite sauces and condiments. The project also makes an excellent gift for friends and relatives! The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

The overall finished dimensions of the assembled project are approximately 13.5" long x 9.75" deep x 9" tall.

Main Items you will need...

1) The Project Files (included):
    • Caddy_Panels.mpc
    • Caddy_Handle.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Panels: 0.75" x 11" x 29"
    Handle: 0.75" x 9" x 21"

Cut the following piece to size (not an mpc)
    Box Bottom: .75" x 8.25" x 10.5"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Clamps, wood glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. (A couple of the photos of the sample has no finish applied...one shows the finished Condiment Caddy)

Here's what I used on the Condiment Caddy made from Select Pine:

MAIN BOX Portion
    • Two coats of thinned Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat
    (50% denatured alcohol and 50% Seal Coat), sanding after each coat
    • Two coats full-strength Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat
    • Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss

HANDLE
    • Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stain - American Walnut
    • Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Empty_Condiment_Caddy_350x320.png   Full_Condiment_Caddy_350x320.png   Finished_Condiment_Caddy350x290.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 10-04-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Looks great, Michael. Can't wait to give it a go. Looks like some Christmas presents will be taken care of ....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Nice job,Michael. I will probably go with the painting a little different. Maybe brightin it up.

Capt Barry

Thank you! I ran out of time to put a finish on mine (I'm in AZ right now, but had to get the POM done before I left...won't be back to the office/shop until Oct 1st).

I was thinking I might apply two or three coats of Bullseye Sealcoat (full-strength) then apply a Golden Pecan or Gunstock stain as a glaze (brush-on, wipe-off), then apply several spray coats of Krylon clear. This technique would compliment my Bread Crib finish, so I am leaning towards this.

Another idea I had is apply some Sculpt Nouveau metallics and patinas...yet another is to apply paints, Bullseye Sealcoat, then stain over the painted/sealed surface (like a glaze), then spray Krylon clear. Oh, so many possibilities!

It's still "waiting" at home for me, so I am trying to decide before I get back!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I knew you had it in you, all the time, Michael. Have a safe trip and thanks for showing us the previews for next month.

Capt Barry

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Thank you! I ran out of time to put a finish on mine (I'm in AZ right now, but had to get the POM done before I left...won't be back to the office/shop until Oct 1st).

I was thinking I might apply two or three coats of Bullseye Sealcoat (full-strength) then apply a Golden Pecan or Gunstock stain as a glaze (brush-on, wipe-off), then apply several spray coats of Krylon clear. This technique would compliment my Bread Crib finish, so I am leaning towards this.

Another idea I had is apply some Sculpt Nouveau metallics and patinas...yet another is to apply paints, Bullseye Sealcoat, then stain over the painted/sealed surface (like a glaze), then spray Krylon clear. Oh, so many possibilities!

It's still "waiting" at home for me, so I am trying to decide before I get back!
    When is pom going to be availible on the carvewright progect so I can purchase it
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Another great project. Can't wait to try it. Have a safe trip.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    When is pom going to be availible on the carvewright progect so I can purchase it
    Hi Henry,

The POM's are ususally available for individual purchase within a few days of release to POM Subscribers, so I expect it will be available the first week of October in the Store.

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    Another great project. Can't wait to try it. Have a safe trip.
    Thank you, Leo! We have our first concert tonight at the Elk's Club...it's a benefit concert where all proceeds go to a local group that supports a Women's Shelter. I think we play from 7:30 pm to around midnight tonight. Two more concerts after that, then we'll all be heading back home.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

When is this October POM coming out? Haven't received mine yet!

Quote Originally Posted by BobC33 View Post
    When is this October POM coming out? Haven't received mine yet!
    Maybe Connie will see this and can confirm whether or not the project emails have already been sent out...

I'm pretty sure it's already been released since I have seen it in the CW Store. If you have an email Spam Filter/Mailbox, check it to see if the POM notification is in there...if not, perhaps calling CarveWright might be in order just to make sure you weren't 'missed' somehow.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 10-03-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast