Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Static Electricity?

Default Static Electricity?

Static Electricity?
    I’m Carving a two sided outdoor sign in 5/4” AZEK(PVC). Each time I run a side some of the carving is messed up. The XYZ axis isall working correctly. I’m convinced that I’m getting static electricity. Mymachine sits on a wood work bench. I use a Ring Neck dust system that is groundedto a 2 hp collection system. I’ve never (350 hrs. carve time) run into thistype of problem.
    Do other folks run a separate ground from the CWmachine to an outside ground? Has anyone ever tried to ground the actual materialbeing carved to an outside ground?
    Advice appreciated.

Bill,

How is the carving messing up?

PVC dust/chips that do not get sucked up by dust collection can and will build up on the rails/bearings and will require some extra cleaning during the carve. I do have my system grounded to my service ground in the shop ( not just a ground off of the dust collector frame).

Another thing to be aware of is making sure you have masking tape on the bottom side of the board for extra traction for the brass roller and belts.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I use tape on the back for the brass roller. That function seems to go ok. As I indicated, I do use the Ring Neck system. The PVC dust does build up a little more than with wood but does not appear to be an issue.

As far as the carving mess ups, the carcings appear correct but in slightly wrong place, or one atop another. I've run this pattern 3 times and each is slightlt different.

I have my seperate ground from my CW to and independent ground. I try and have multiple ground posts around the shop.the center screw on the recepticle make a good source, just used a longer screw ,or the best I think a water pipe.

Capt Barry

350 hours... Y Gear Box Bearings?

What axis is the error in?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

You need more tape than just the brass roller! You need to cover the bottom so the boards do not slip (improved traction).

Well, this has been quite a saga. It was in fact static electricity. It took me quite a while ro track down the cukprit. All of the axis were working correctly. No traction issues or slippimg.

The issue resulved around my board brush! I've had this brush for quite a few years. I like it because iy is stiff and can bruch sawdust out of cracks and grooves. This brush has never been an issue before. I sometimes have an issue with being patient. This involves the CW machine at times. Because this was my fiest carve with AZEK I wanted to see how it was coming out of the machine. So, I was brushing the dust off the board as it was coming out of the machine while the CW was still carving!

The brush I was using was made with nylon bristles. This created just enough static to make the CW semi-crazy. After a process of elimination, I set up a practice piece and actually watched this happen! My new board brush has a wood handle and natural fiber bristles.

Now thar I've solved my issues AZEK, I feel very good about using it for outdoor projects. It's a little expensive, buy I've had no problem selling it for more money because it is abroluely maintenance free.

Bill,

Great update and finding what your static problem was.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Rats.... WRONG again.... GOOD JOB finding the problem....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

That's crazy! Good find, let us know if it fixes it... Show us your work! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast