Thread: 3/8" jointing bit too long to load using Rock Chuck?

Default 3/8" jointing bit too long to load using Rock Chuck?

Hi guys,

Just came upon an interesting dilemma... I'm running a project and using the 3/8" bit but I can't load the bit because the Ztruck won't go high enough to allow the bit to be loaded! I am going to raise the head but I can't believe this is the only way to get this particular bit into the Rock.. ideas?

Can the excess be cut off the top of the bit?
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    Hi guys,

Just came upon an interesting dilemma... I'm running a project and using the 3/8" bit but I can't load the bit because the Ztruck won't go high enough to allow the bit to be loaded! I am going to raise the head but I can't believe this is the only way to get this particular bit into the Rock.. ideas?
    As I recall, the Rock chuck is longer than the CW chucks (by about 1/2" I think? - I don't remember the exact amount of excess length).

I don't know if any other Rock users have ever tried to use the 3/8" bit and/or were successful in doing so. if not, other than purchasing a different (shorter) bit, I'm not sure there is anything else you can do (other than replace the Rock with a CarveTight, of course). Perhaps some of the remaining Rock users can offer a solution. I believe "AL Who" will know what to do!!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I too purchased some 3/8 PLUNGE End Mill Bits with 1/4 inch shafts. Work GREAT in the Rock... It is important to buy the Plunge Bit with cutters on the bottom.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I too purchased some 3/8 PLUNGE End Mill Bits with 1/4 inch shafts. Work GREAT in the Rock... It is important to buy the Plunge Bit with cutters on the bottom.

AL
    Hi AL,

What is the length of the bits you purchased? (Might help Rock users to have that info.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I probably should have mentioned this is the 3/8" bit that came with the CW full bit set ( QC thingy removed of course ). It is a long bit and is the only one that can't be inserted unless you push the Z truck all the way to the back of the machine or raise the head. I got by but I'll use a different bit in the future that isn't as long.

Quote Originally Posted by James RS View Post
    Can the excess be cut off the top of the bit?
    That doesn't sound like a good idea

I have used the 3/8 bit that came with the CW in my Rock Chuck. Same issue; I just manually move the head up to the top and can get it to slip in. Have never had any problems doing this. The machine checks the position and depth of the bit afterward, anyway, so moving it is not an issue.