Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Apostrophe and the proper use!

Can we do exclamation points tomorrow? My wife is always telling me one is enough!!!!!!!!!!!!! And not just exclamation points.........

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Can we do exclamation points tomorrow? My wife is always telling me one is enough!!!!!!!!!!!!! And not just exclamation points.........
    Sure Brad!!! I too like more then one exclamation points! But you do the post!

Ike

YAY!! We made it to two pages! LOL

I want to add this I have read every post in this thread and I really tried not to appear as a know it all! I stated in almost every post that the use of an apostrophe is important to me and my work. By no means did I mean to convey this is the way everybody should operate their business. I have been told a name that ends with "S" does not need an aposthrophe. With a proper noun it does, even with Willys! If the proper noun of a family is Willys it should read, "The Willys' or The Willys's" Both is correct. Even with Willis or Thomas it was brought up with Willis you drop the "S" and add "ES" for Willies. Okay let's try that with Thomas....Thomaes, hmm that changes the name! So what do you do? Both names end with "S" agreed? Both names are proper nouns agreed? Then Thomas should read, "The Thomas' or Thomas's". So Willis should also be, "The Willis' or Willis's"

Then I used maybe a not a very good example of a cracked board verse the proper use of an apostrophe. I used to express both examples reflect the product a person produces. (Not any particular person) I even used the example of a customer wanting a cracked board. They are happy until it completely breaks! Then the customer is always correct was posted! Okay say you did just make the sign with an incorrect use of an apostrophe. They take it home and their friends ask, "who made the sign?" They tell them RC Woodworks.....why? The friend tells them the sign looks great, but the grammar is wrong! Your customer then says, "well I didn't know and the sign maker didn't say anything!" Now I have posted, I have told all my customers and they have told me, wow I didn't know or they have forgot and the sign is made grammatically correct.

I also said, I won't make with improper grammar unless it is a title or name i.e. a sign I made Fish'n not Wish'n. That is me and by no means do I expect anyone to follow my practices or it my way or no way! I am sorry if I offended anyone, Leo or mathman. I wanted to help those who are new, just like I have with painting and finishing signs.

So I am not mad a bit upset feeling like I am being attacked! So to everybody I offer this as a suggestion and use it if you like or not!!

Ike

I don't think there is any ill-will towards you Ike! I ,personally, think of you as Legendary! So much to learn from you! This is in my part, good clean fun (with a little ribbing)! I tend to over use commas. My wife is always yelling at me over it. But it is my style... LOL Keep posting your great work!

I hope you didn't feel I was coming after you Ike- I appreciate what you do and was just adding my .02.

Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    I hope you didn't feel I was coming after you Ike- I appreciate what you do and was just adding my .02.

Lawrence
    No not at all Lawrence or Bert! I appreciate the kind words, we made 5 pages!

Well I sent 2 PM to Leo apologizing that our post got out of hand. That is why I really don't like the written word! It is hard to express your feelings and the context of meaning. I figured Leo blocked me so he most likely won't read this. If somebody will pass on my apology I would appreciate it a bunch!

Sorry to anybody else who may be offended, that is why I seldom post anything these days!

Ike

I never remember to check notification, and I have not blocked you. Thank you for your personal email.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Well I sent 2 PM to Leo apologizing that our post got out of hand. That is why I really don't like the written word! It is hard to express your feelings and the context of meaning. I figured Leo blocked me so he most likely won't read this. If somebody will pass on my apology I would appreciate it a bunch!

Sorry to anybody else who may be offended, that is why I seldom post anything these days!

Ike
    Ike you are one of my mentors on this forum. I enjoy reading your posts..now enough of that talk about seldom posting and get to work on some videos. I think you just take things to heart sometimes but that is one of the many reasons I like you and consider you a friend.

I don't think there was any need for a apologies on any ones part. It was just good clean discussion.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast