Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Apostrophe and the proper use!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    LOL! How hard was it to type all of that and NOT use spaces?!
    I have a special keyboard just for that purpose... one with a broken spacebar! (is there anything more frustrating that trying to use a keyboard with a broken key?.... I think not)
    Doug Fletcher

Here in Arkansaw the apostrophe just states that the husband and wife may also be cousins , coarse we don't know no better anyways
    Steve
    Start U Member

Oh, I'm so thankful for math! Physics anyway, what I always delt with. You guys can have the grammer, was never my thing. Made no sense to me, but math, yea!!!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''
    This is apostrope code for ????????????????????????????????????
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    No, not Willy, Willys (which is pronounced "Willis" not "Willeez"). Willys is singular, not plural. Plural of Willys is Willyses. Relying solely on a spellchecker is a guaranteed way to wind up with something wrong - spellcheckers aren't comprehensive and can only tell you correct spellings on words it knows. Most don't know "Willys" so they won't know "Willyses". And for reference, this is what a "Willys" truck looks like:

Attachment 56031
    Wow you took the subject out of context I am quite aware of Willys Jeeps. After my father in law passed away we gave away a 56 Willys. Sorry I made you mad about an apostrophe!!! You can use an apostrophe anyway you want right or wrong! Plus to mention AMC called the Willys as a name so it does end with an "S"

Lol like I said, time and time and time again! Make your signs the way you want! Grammatically correct or not, blame it on being in a southern state or family background whatever! Plus spell Willys the way you want I do not care! No I am not mad at all, just wondering how the rule for apostrophes has to do with a Jeep?

Ike

PS. I am done arguing about other's grammar use! As a professional sign maker I thought I help those who did not know!!!
    Last edited by Ike; 09-22-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Ike
    You started out talking about spelling and now you are talking about construction defects which is a hold different situation . Of course I wouldn't produce a crack or other defect. You have two different things spelling and defects. They are totally different

Leo
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    Ike
    You started out talking about spelling and now you are talking about construction defects which is a hold different situation . Of course I wouldn't produce a crack or other defect. You have two different things spelling and defects. They are totally different

Leo
    I am done Leo.... No it was not spelling.....grammar. The crack or defect was an example of the work of a shop. Incorrect grammar or a cracked board I will not do! So again sorry if I made you mad! With your carvings and projects do what you think is best! I was trying to help those who did not know. I thought we are here to help each other? I have been making signs for 32 years and consider myself a professional. So I do professional work, you can use an apostrophe the way you want.....

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    I am done Leo.... No it was not spelling.....grammar. The crack or defect was an example of the work of a shop. Incorrect grammar or a cracked board I will not do! So again sorry if I made you mad! With your carvings and projects do what you think is best! I was trying to help those who did not know. I thought we are here to help each other? I have been making signs for 32 years and consider myself a professional. So I do professional work, you can use an apostrophe the way you want.....

Ike
    You apprear to be the one who is getting mad and will not even consider that you have your way, and I guess with 32 years of making signs you are the expert and as a professional you should know there are as many ways to do something as there are people. You appear to feel it is your way or your wrong. I have stated several ways that spelling and grammer are one and product defects are another. I have personally recarved many projects several times because I didn't like how it came out, maybe the gain of the wood, maybe the pattern. If a customer wants something spell a certain way that is fine. I will do it. I also don't charge for the projects I do, I have never received one penny. They are all for Churches, Schools, and Retirement Homes free of charge.
    Leo Davenport

PS. I am done arguing about others grammar use! As a professional sign maker I thought I help those who did not know!!!

Is this proper english. Or did you intentionally make this statement
    Leo Davenport

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    You apprear to be the one who is getting mad and will not even consider that you have your way, and I guess with 32 years of making signs you are the expert and as a professional you should know there are as many ways to do something as there are people. You appear to feel it is your way or your wrong. I have stated several ways that spelling and grammer are one and product defects are another. I have personally recarved many projects several times because I didn't like how it came out, maybe the gain of the wood, maybe the pattern. If a customer wants something spell a certain way that is fine. I will do it. I also don't charge for the projects I do, I have never received one penny. They are all for Churches, Schools, and Retirement Homes free of charge.
    Okay Leo last time I say this, "No I am not mad or upset" I explained how I do business and my feelings about apostrophes. I hesitated to post anything, but like ALL my customers in 32 years and I have made many many signs! I tell them about apostrophes usage and that is it! So trying to help the new sign makers I went ahead. If you read through the post in this thread I have said, I am not telling you how to run your business. I was trying to express a sign with an apostrophe for a single name I.E. The Bakers is incorrect! I did not make the rule as I did as a cop....I enforced the rules! However I would leave it that, but I would be accused of my way or no way!

My point for me....... I am talking about me...... If I do a sign may it be the material condition or grammar it is my work and I sign my name on the bottom so I so it correctly. I have made several free signs and I have never compromised my beliefs. Every sign I let the customer design the sign. How they want it, but I tell them I am not comfortable using an apostrophe incorrectly and every customer has agreed in 32 years!

So was my point to post the proper use of an apostrophe to show I am better or smarter then everyone else? Nope it was to help those who wanted the help! Did I start the thread to get into an argument about how others run their business or what they believe? Nope I did not! Like sharing some of the methods I have learned about painting, finishing etc. The same is for the apostrophe!

Leo I know the proper use of an apostrophe and if you use it wrong it is wrong! I was trying to share the proper use and let you know why I do. By no means did I say do it my way or you are wrong! So if you are okay with doing a sign the way the customer asked? That is fine I won't! I won't make gang related material or cursing or demonic or improper use of grammar! Now I have made signs that were a business that read Fish'n not Wish'n. I made a sign 3 times once at a fair because of a similar sign that read something about fishin' 2 times I put fishing!

I used the grammar and material defects as a principal in comparison. If you read the post I used it in two different ways one knowing of a crack and two the customer asking for a crack. My point was if you fixed the crack or made the product with a crack and the customer was happy.....I would not be happy. I strive to put out the best product that reflects on me. My point was a grammatically incorrect sign is the same as a cracked board to me! I may have fixed the crack or carved the apostrophe and the customer was happy.... I would not be happy, yes I have used tricks to fix signs my last sign is a great example. The campfire sign, the date was wrong and it was a wedding gift for this weekend. It was a long carve and a lot of hand work. The sign had all raised lettering so I removed the six and because of the letters being black I used hot glue and made a 3. I painted it clear coated it several more times and it will be there forever!

So let me correct the comparison if you say a crack would you repair the crack. If it looked really bad would you do it again? If yes why? Because it is a reflection of your work? That said, as yes! Then proper grammar should be as important to you as well for a normal last name sign! It is for me and that is how I operate my business

So again I am sorry for upsetting you and you can carve your signs the way you see fit.

Ike

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast