Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apostrophe and the proper use!

Default Apostrophe and the proper use!

Okay I know here I go again, but I feel pretty strong about using an apostrophe correctly! I have been making signs for 32 years and never yes never added an incorrect apostrophe! That said am I better then anybody else? NO!!! I learned from my uncle who has been in the sign business since 1976 the proper use of an apostrophe. In signs the apostrophe is use to show possession, I.E. The Smith's House or to use an apostrophe for a letter, I.E. The Thomas' the apostrophe replaces the "S". The Thomas's looks funny and is incorrect, well yes and no! You can add the "S", but it looks weird!

Why am I posting this? For the new sign makers some may not know and some may not care and some may think I am out of my mind! Here is a link to the definition for an apostrophe, http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/apostrophe. Of course an apostrophe is use for contractions such as "Can not" ....Can't an "N and an O" is replaced with the apostrophe.

Now at this point you may be saying, "Hey wait when you add an apostrophe to a sign for example, " The Butlers, Tom and Mary" Well that shows where they live and it is there home! Sorry no!! Unless on the sign it reads, " The Butler's House" an apostrophe is not used. The Butlers shows pluralization and not possessions.

I know customers may ask for an apostrophe, but I ask them if they know about the proper use of the apostrophe? If they are adamant about an apostrophe I ask them to tell others I advised them it is not proper and I advised them, but the customer wanted the apostrophe! I have yet to put an apostrophe incorrectly in a sign!

I hope I have enlighten some of you and not offended anyone. If I have offended anyone I apologize! But doing the correct and proper things in the sign business sets the professionals apart from the amateurs! I have yet had an issue with a customer in 32 years Well again I hope nobody has been offended!

Ike

IKE.... Your 100% Correct..... We have talked about this before....

I make MANY incorrect Signs.... I leave it to the Customer.... And laugh all the way to the BANK...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

In the awards business I learned people want things the way they are comfortable with. I quit arguing the point. Language evolves. Look at all the words that change their meaning over a 5 or 10 year span.

Here we are carving with computers, gotta take the good with the bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jum7DsNZqO0

I'm all for leaving the customer responsible for verifying the details, but I'd prefer not to carve something with obvious errors because it's a reflection of my work. If we make a sign with an incorrectly spelled word or bad punctuation, viewers will almost always blame the person who created it, not the owner of the piece.

Same here, I lay out the project and then print it out. I make them "proof" it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Well I believe your work reflects you! Yes you can laugh all the way to the bank big Al, but I won't make a sign incorrectly! I guess I am just a snob! But I have yet placed an apostrophe incorrectly! I explain to the customer it is grammatically incorrect and I rather not do the sign if they insist I add an apostrophe incorrectly!

Anyway I guess I am considered the apostrophe police! So I will keep my comments to my self and grit my teeth when I see an apostrophe used incorrectly!! I just wanted to help those who did not know!

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 09-21-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Remember the Golden Rule. "The Customer is Always Right". If the customer is happy I'm happy
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Don't you dare Keep your comments to yourself. If you save one mistake, you could save a customer. I for one, suck at grammar... And appreciate your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Well I believe you work reflects you! Yes you can laugh all the way to the bank big Al, but I won't make a sign incorrectly! I guess I am just a snob! But I have yet placed an apostrophe incorrectly! I explain to the customer it is grammatically incorrect and I rather not do the sign if they insist I add an apostrophe incorrectly!

Anyway I guess I am considered the apostrophe police! So I will keep my comments to my self and grit my teeth when I see an apostrophe used incorrectly!! I just wanted to help those who did not know!

Ike
    Count me in as apostrophe police, too! Doesn't do anybody any favors to NOT offer gentle correction - nobody wants to keep making the same mistakes over and over. Thank You for helping out all of us, Ike! Greatly appreciated!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I appreciate you too, Ike. We love the lessons. Keep them coming and don't you dare stop posting!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast