Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: broke my 1/8 cutting bit...thinking about my replacement options

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    Is there a speed difference in cutting with the 3/16 vs. the 1/8th? I was thinking there was and it would therefore be better to have the 3/16 for speed and the 1/16 for detail?

And I did save the broken bit, how do you go about pressing it in and out?

dave
    Hi Dave,

The 1/16" CUTTING bit is only suitable for cutting out thin material (.25" or less in thickness).

You need the 1/8" CUTTING bit for cutting through material up to 1" thick. Ditto for the 3/16" CUTTING bit. Only you can decide whether the 3/16" CUTTING bit would be suitable for a particular project...it all depends on what it is you are cutting out and whether or not it would "chew away" material you wish to keep! I honestly don't know for sure if the feed rate is faster for the larger bit or not. Someone from CarveWright can answer that question.

I keep both the 1/8" CUTTING bits and the 3/16" CUTTING bits on hand. However, I have not used the 3/16" CUTTING bit so far, because most of my projects are not suited for the larger diameter/kerf.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    Is there a speed difference in cutting with the 3/16 vs. the 1/8th? I was thinking there was and it would therefore be better to have the 3/16 for speed and the 1/16 for detail?
    Let's don't confuse the 3/16" carving and the 3/16" cutting.

3/16" carving is faster that 1/16" carving, but less detail.
    3/16" cutting is a little bit faster than the 1/8" cutting bit when doing full cut with one pass. If doing multi-pass cuts with 1/8", than the 3/16" in one pass is definitely faster.

And I did save the broken bit, how do you go about pressing it in and out?
    Needless to say.....WE DON'T ADVISE THIS!!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Let's don't confuse the 3/16" carving and the 3/16" cutting.
    Ha! That's why I did ALL CAPS for CUTTING in post #11 above. I wasn't sure if he was getting his wires crossed on the cutting/carving bits or not.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

So I went into Lowes last night since they list the carving bit on their website for $28 along with other stuff at decent prices to see what they would do about getting the cutting bit. The guy actually let me take over his employee computer and search through their database to find what they had available. We found a code for ordering special orders of carvewright stuff but not the 1/8 cutting bit. They wrote everything down and promised me they would call LHR today about getting the bit. It would be nice to see Lowes getting the newer bits into their inventory. Does LHR have an agreement with Lowes for all your products or just some?

dave

Machine, 1/16" carving, 1/8" cutting (don't know why it wasn't there), memory card, programmer, probe & decorative bit set. All are special order products and not carried in-stock. Would be nice for us too, if every Lowes had inventory!!

Hey Dave:

Got the call from Lowes, but he kept telling me you wanted the 1/8" carving bit, which isn't sold through Lowes (only LHR).

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Machine, 1/16" carving, 1/8" cutting (don't know why it wasn't there), memory card, programmer, probe & decorative bit set. All are special order products and not carried in-stock. Would be nice for us too, if every Lowes had inventory!!
    Well, that is part of the reason I decided to ask them, better for LHR if Lowes carries your stuff or at least has more of your line available for order and better for me as a customer because it is easier access to the product. Maybe if enough of us ask our local store it will percolate up the chain?

I did notice that the carving bit they list has the picture of the old type, If I order one from them which version do I get?

dave

MT, My son works runs the body shop for the KC135s and C17s at March ARB. He took them the their machine shop. If you know some one in a home town type auto parts place, they should have a press. If you have other uses beyond pressing a few bits, Harbor Freight has them for no too much. I did the first one with a hammer, punch, and vise set open enough so the bit would fit thru and the collar rested on the top.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Thanks, Clint. I think I'll let LHR do mine (i.e., order bits with the collars already pressed on)...nervous about hitting a carbide bit with a hammer.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Why doesn't the 1/4" Collet work for these? Is it not tight enough?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast