Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: broke my 1/8 cutting bit...thinking about my replacement options

Default broke my 1/8 cutting bit...thinking about my replacement options

I broke my 1/8 inch cutting bit. I was looking at my replacement options and was leaning toward getting the 3/16 cutting bit instead and possibly adding the 1/16 to go with it for times when the 3/16 is too big. Could someone who has the different bit types please comment on the pros and cons? If you have two or all three, which one is your "go to" bit that you wouldn't do without?

I also looked at some other options like cw-parts.com. How well do his bits work in a version c machine?

dave

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

The 3/16 is a good option with the CarveTight but carbide bits do break.
    Consider cutting less deep with each the max. pass depth. Maybe .125 for each cut should save your bits. cw-parts has great bits but they still break under pressure.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

I definitely recommend the 3/16" cutting bit and that is my go-to bit for cutouts unless I need the precision. But I still will make three passes (1/4" max cut) in hard maple and oak. I do use the 1/8" bit to cut gears, but generally they are cut from 1/4" Baltic Birch, so I'm not concerned with cutting in one pass and suffered no broken bits. You might find that you need both bits. The 1/16" can only cut thin stock and I don't have a need for that bit.

Bits break for a lot of reasons. If there is an x- or y-axis issue with your machine even a 3/16" bit can break. You should try to determine the cause of the breakage before replacing bits.

Quote Originally Posted by easybuilt View Post
    The 3/16 is a good option with the CarveTight but carbide bits do break.
    Consider cutting less deep with each the max. pass depth. Maybe .125 for each cut should save your bits. cw-parts has great bits but they still break under pressure.
    I already do set max depth, It broke because the right door sensor said closed and the left didn't so it started moving across the wood without the cut motor running and broke off.

So if you were only going to order one cutting bit would it be the 1/8 or 3/16? Does the 3/16 cut at the same speed as the 1/8?

Dave, A few weeks back, Sears was practically giving the 1/8 cutting bits away. When you could find them in the stores they were $1.87 ea . (Our local sears had NONE) Now the cheapest I find the 1/8 bit for is on ebay, at $18.00 + $2.75 shipping. That is a Bare Bit.
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

Quote Originally Posted by edzbaker View Post
    Dave, A few weeks back, Sears was practically giving the 1/8 cutting bits away. When you could find them in the stores they were $1.87 ea . (Our local sears had NONE) Now the cheapest I find the 1/8 bit for is on ebay, at $18.00 + $2.75 shipping. That is a Bare Bit.
    I know, timing is everything. I did get the other bit set that sears was closing out a couple of months ago though.

In my opinion, you need the 1/8 in bit fore more accurate cutouts. The 3/16 bit would would be good to have for non detail cuts like rounds or rectangles etc. If you save the broken CT bit and press the bit out of the collar, you can press a bare bit or old QC bit into it.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    ... If you save the broken CT bit and press the bit out of the collar, you can press a bare bit or old QC bit into it.
    Clint
    Hi Clint,

How do we press the old bit out and the new bit into the collar? Do we need to purchase a special tool for that?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    In my opinion, you need the 1/8 in bit fore more accurate cutouts. The 3/16 bit would would be good to have for non detail cuts like rounds or rectangles etc. If you save the broken CT bit and press the bit out of the collar, you can press a bare bit or old QC bit into it.
    Clint
    Is there a speed difference in cutting with the 3/16 vs. the 1/8th? I was thinking there was and it would therefore be better to have the 3/16 for speed and the 1/16 for detail?

And I did save the broken bit, how do you go about pressing it in and out?

dave

Really not too much difference in cutting speeds, I would still recommend cutting using multi passes as you would do with the 1/8 bit.

I have an arbor press I use to press bits into the carvetight adapter. I use permanent loctite on the adapter and then press the bit in. Let them set for a day and your ready to carve. I just did 4 bits today.

I knock out the broken bits with a punch and hammer after heating the adapter first.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast