Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready to Buy!! Finally...

Whether u purchase N01 or C from amazon, we ship C. It was their old designation for a or b, but we only have c's to ship. Can't get them to remove no1. Amazon comes with 1 year warranty included, but order through LHR and get hduty belts installed free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Default Almost there...

Thanks for of the info. There seems to be a lot of people willing to help a guy out on this forum, thanks again.

I see prices jump around a little depending on who you buy from. Here is what I've found for the C system. They all come with the 200hr/1yr warranty.

Sears; Not Available
    Amazon; $1599.99 plus about $160 tax for me. Free 2 day shipping (I have what they call Prime shipping), no HD belts. Total about $1760.00.
    LHR; $1399.99 no tax, $79 shipping, HD belts included ($140 value), total about $1480.00.
    LHR; $2050.99 no tax, $79 shipping, HD belts, 11 pc Full Bit Set ($400), Scanning Probe ($300), 1/8" Cutting Bit ($40). Total about $2132.00 saving about $90 on the extras.

Someone said that LHR was having a Labor Day special. Is that the "Hot Sale" that'a on the website or is there something even better out there? I'll buy today if there IS a better Labor Day Special!!

Thanks for the help guy's (and Gal's if any), Mike

Here's what I got by email

If I were in your shoes I would -
    1 - buy from LHR - even though buying from amazon gives you a couple of "protective measures" (you get the power of Amazon behind you if you have any problems... returns are dead easy and painless) the added cost probably would still make me buy from LHR. Besides, LHR's customer service and the Carvewright's reliability has gotten MUCH better.
    2 - if you are going to get the probe (and I would, but not primarily for the probe... for the pattern editor software that comes with it), buy the probe from lowes here
    http://www.lowes.com/Search=carvewri...d=10051&rpp=16

It's $80 cheaper and it ships from LHR anyway
    3 - I would not buy the "full bit set" as most folks (including me) don't use most of the bits- you want to instead purchase an extra 1/16 carving bit (though I sell them, I would buy one with a pressed on sleeve from LHR as mine do not have pressed on adapters). Also buy 2 of the 1/8 cutting bits from LHR. For the centerline text, you can use a standard 60 or 90 degree sign bit and do not have to use the ones that LHR sells- I love this one

4 - as far as the software goes- just keep in mind that the software (including the pattern editor software that comes with the probe) is non-transferable and non refundable. Once you load the software on your computer, it belongs to you and cannot be sold/given away/etc. For this reason I would not recommend starting out with all of the software, but I do recommend to start out with the centerline text and conforming vectors software from LHR- it is $150 for both and I consider them essential for most users. If you want to purchase the other software (which I own all of and LOVE), keep your eyes out for future sales-- every couple of months the software will go on sale for 10% off.

One thing to note about the warranty-- it is important that you understand that there are "consumable items" not covered by the warranty (flexshaft etc) - and also that you may be required to do some work on your machine with LHR's help to get it functioning - even while it is still under warranty- I don't personally think this is a big deal, but I feel it is important to note. It may even be worth calling up LHR to see if they can still give you the free HD belts but take off the 1 year warranty (the 30 day warranty is free) This is certainly what I would do and it would lower the price by $200, but I don't know if they are willing to do that (it can't hurt to ask though)

You know we're here for you once you take the plunge-- I remember the excitement when I bought my machine- I don't regret it one bit.

Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrence; 09-03-2012 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    ...3 - I would not buy the "full bit set" as most folks (including me) don't use most of the bits...
    You made me think...

It is certainly true that most people don't use the majority of bits in the full Bit Set, other than the 60 and 90 degree bits used mostly for simple Centerline lettering/carving. Too bad, though. There are tons of creative possibilities for the decorative ogees, round-over, end-mill and ballnose bits, if one uses their imagination. A new user probably wouldn't quite know how to fully and creatively incorporate them into a design layout until they've become familiar with the vector, route, offset and depth profile tools.

When I create the POM's, there have been MANY times that I would have rather used one or two of the "specialty" bits, rather than a raster carve (which is much slower than a vector carve/cut, duh) for certain design elements. However, we all decided a long time ago to design the POM's so that a person was not required to buy a 'special' bit to run a project. I think the main concern was that some people may become "offended" if they actually had to buy a bit. (Early exceptions were the Wheeled Toys project and the Umbrella Stand project I designed several years ago...both require the 1/4" ballnose as part of the project run...I "snuck" those projects through, I guess!).

Heck, I buy all kinds of different bit sizes and configurations for my "brand-x" CNC all the time. I have no hesitation to acquire a bit for a specific project if it improves efficiency or quality. Plus, having an assortment of different bits on hand actually inspire me to use them on other projects!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I just went ahead and bit the bullet. I ordered the $1400 set-up. Plus 2ea. 1/8" cutting bits, 1ea. 1/16 carving bit, and the Centerline Text and Conforming Vector software. All from LHR. Thanks to all of ya's who steered me in the right direction. A big thanks to Lawrence for itemizing things for me!!

Now the long wait......

Thanks again, Mike

Mike,

Great choice with starting out with this set up.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

7. Default

Congratulations Mike! Be careful. It can get to ya. You may find it hard to go to work in the mornings and stay home and play instead!

Excellent-- do you have plans for your first carve? I highly recommend starting VERY simple (I did a name) - start with a board that you know is flat, square, and parallel and ensure you have an extra 7 inches (I often do 8 just to be safe) longer than your carve will be. I also recommend you post your MPC here the first time you carve along with the details of your board "here's my MPC- my board is _ x _ x _ in size, and we'll make sure to walk you through what buttons to press as you are given options. This isn't totally necessary but it does help cut down on user error.

Another option (and this is what I've done with some folks) is to PM me and we can arrange for me to be on the phone with you when you start your first carve. I'm more than happy to do so if you'd like, but understand if you'd rather just dive in (that's what I did... though after a lot of reading!)

Glad you made your purchase- now make sure you download the software from here
    http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...cwdesigner.php
    and play around with it (unless you have already done so)

Lawrence

Congradulations Mike. We have all been where you are, it is a exciting time. Take it slow and don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Quote Originally Posted by mykee50 View Post
    Thanks for of the info. There seems to be a lot of people willing to help a guy out on this forum, thanks again.

I see prices jump around a little depending on who you buy from. Here is what I've found for the C system. They all come with the 200hr/1yr warranty.

Sears; Not Available
    Amazon; $1599.99 plus about $160 tax for me. Free 2 day shipping (I have what they call Prime shipping), no HD belts. Total about $1760.00.
    LHR; $1399.99 no tax, $79 shipping, HD belts included ($140 value), total about $1480.00.
    LHR; $2050.99 no tax, $79 shipping, HD belts, 11 pc Full Bit Set ($400), Scanning Probe ($300), 1/8" Cutting Bit ($40). Total about $2132.00 saving about $90 on the extras.

Someone said that LHR was having a Labor Day special. Is that the "Hot Sale" that'a on the website or is there something even better out there? I'll buy today if there IS a better Labor Day Special!!

Thanks for the help guy's (and Gal's if any), Mike

Since when does Amazon charge tax? Plus are they charging 10% tax? It comes from Sparks Nevada and the tax should be 8.25 % or 8.75 %. I went to Amazon and no tax was charged and free shipping. I don't know why they would charge you tax? LHR is probably the best deal! Anyway hope you enjoy your new machine! Sorry just in case somebody wants a CW from Amazon and they may think tax will be charge. Again I don't know why they would charge you, but when I made a test order it was $1599.00!

Ike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast