Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bread Crib - Project of the Month SEPTEMBER 2012

Default The Bread Crib - Project of the Month SEPTEMBER 2012

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for SEPTEMBER 2012)... The Bread Crib!

The Bread Serving Crib will make an excellent addition to a holiday table, or for everyday use anytime! Place a linen or decorative napkin inside the “crib” and serve rolls, croissants, muffins, bagels or any item of your choice.

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The overall finished dimensions of the assembled project are about 18½" long x 7½" wide x 4" tall.

Main items you will need

1) The Project Files (included):
    • Bread_Crib_Panels.mpc
    • Stringers.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Panels: 0.75" x 11" x 27"
    Stingers: 0.50" x 5.5" x 14"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above. NOTE: Make sure the stringer board is a full 1/2-inch thick. Otherwise the machine will not accept it without a sled or jig.

3) Clamps, wood glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) 5/16" and 5/8" diameter dowels
    (You will need three 4 ft. lengths of 5/16" dowels and about 2 ft. of 5/8" dowels, which allows for any waste.)

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice.
    Here’s what I used on my Bread Crib made from Select Pine boards and Poplar dowels:

• Two coats of thinned Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat
    (50% denatured alcohol and 50% Seal Coat), sanding after each coat
    • Two coats full-strength Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat
    • Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NO_Bread_750x320.jpg   With_Bread_750x320.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-01-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

Looks like another winner Michael, thanks for all the creative ideas and designs!
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

It looks like a great project, Michael. Thank you for putting it together. Can't wait to try it out....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Really looks nice Michael! You done a great job again. Thank you for all your hard work.

WOW Michael, that is really a nice looking pattern! Can't wait!

can't wait for this one... looks awesome!!! any idea when it will be available? tue, wed? wish it was sooner like always...great job. showed a couple people the pics and already are showing interest. looks like i'll be making quite a few of these. can't wait to get started...

were the circles made with the new software upgrades? trying to convince the boss... aka wife.. that it is worth the cost...

Another Nice Job Micheal. Keep them coming.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Thank you all for the very nice comments! So sorry I couldn't get this to you a little sooner, but I hope you will enjoy this project as much as I did. I plan to make a few more as gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyz View Post
    were the circles made with the new software upgrades? trying to convince the boss... aka wife.. that it is worth the cost...
    Hi Ricky,

No, I didn't use the new Designer tools to create the circles...but, I easily could have! To prove it, I quickly did the circles and background molding just a few minutes ago using Designer 1.185 and 2D and 3D suites. Took about five minutes to do this (notice I could have paid more attention to centering everything, but I was in a hurry!) Anyway, here's how I did it...

1) Drew a 1.5" diameter circle
    2) Used the new Revolve Tool to "sweep" the shape of the circle/dome with the vector I drew in the sweep window (Revolve is in the 3D Suite)
    3) Used the Copy Offset to duplicate the circle in a Horizontal array (Copy/Offset is in the 2D Suite)
    4) Applied a Small Draft to the original circle (which applied it automatically to the copies, too)
    5) Drew two parallel lines, spaced 2.25" apart
    6) I selected the lines, then selected the new Rail Sweep tool (in the 3D Suite) to "sweep" between the two vectors

The dotted lines you see on the screenshot are the two vectors I drew for the dome and molding sweeps mentioned above.

Are the new Designer 3D and 2D Suites worth the price? You bet your booties they are!...and then some!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_of_Designer_1185_making_domed_molding.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-01-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: added more zoomed-in screenshot to view vectors more easily
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

10. Default

Looks really nice. I think I'll make a few of these.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast