Thread: Merge & Clip

Default Merge & Clip

(though I still have problems getting things to merge properly... it seems I just click on the merge and clip buttons at random until I get what I am looking for!)
    ummm Isn't that how everyone does it?! LOL
    I saw this quote on another thread and it really made me stop and think. I honestly *have* been doing this in my few attempts to make a project... randomly trying different merges and clips with different pieces of the project, until it seems to work like I want... and I would like to learn the actual proper way to use these functions, exactly what they are supposed to do and how/why.

So, how is one intended to use the various merge/clip functions? Is there a relatively high-level tutorial already out there? What about some more detailed instructions/info?
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Quote Originally Posted by karossii View Post
    I saw this quote on another thread and it really made me stop and think. I honestly *have* been doing this in my few attempts to make a project... randomly trying different merges and clips with different pieces of the project, until it seems to work like I want... and I would like to learn the actual proper way to use these functions, exactly what they are supposed to do and how/why.

So, how is one intended to use the various merge/clip functions? Is there a relatively high-level tutorial already out there? What about some more detailed instructions/info?
    Drop down to my signature section and click on the "Download" link.
    You will find a lesson titled "Clipping a Carving".
    After you view that lesson, continue down the list and you will see a 2nd section showing other links of value.
    Click on the one titled "CarveWright Tips & Tricks". Issues # 1, 2, and 6 will give you some insight on your questions.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

In addition to Bud's excellent suggestions, the Software Manual, pages 104 and 125 give definitions and an example of merge that you may find helpful. (In case you don't know how to access the Software Manual, just go to the Help Menu in Designer, then click on "Software Manual (PDF)" in the drop-down list to open the manual.)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

The last time I tried to understand merge and clip, I noticed that the icon pictures and the actions were inconsistent between the software and the software manual. I think some of the icon pictures in the manual are switched and are with the wrong descriptions. This added to my confusion.

Thanks Bergerud,

I thought it was just my misunderstanding while trying to follow those icon directions in the PDF manual. I learn something every day.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bruce View Post
    Thanks Bergerud,

I thought it was just my misunderstanding while trying to follow those icon directions in the PDF manual. I learn something every day.
    I have not spotted any merge icon/description mismatches (doesn't mean they aren't there, but I haven't seen them...do you have a page number(s)?).

I did see where the icons for Clip Inclusive and Exclusive are reversed in relation to the description (on page 104) - that needs to be corrected. I don't pay attention to the icons when working...I right-click on the object and read the text...barely noticing the icons anyway.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    I did see where the icons for Clip Inclusive and Exclusive are reversed in relation to the description (on page 104) - that needs to be corrected. I don't pay attention to the icons when working...I right-click on the object and read the text...barely noticing the icons anyway.
    That must be it. My notes are at the office. I just remember some switched icons in the manual.