Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New style 1/16 carving bit?

The newer bit has 3 times the number of twists which will remove chips faster. Faster chip removal = cooler running bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdages View Post
    Alex,

At this time of the day, how much coffee have you had??

My self I am on my 4th pot (10 cup coffee maker)
    Only have had 2 cups so far today. May add another to that count before heading out to the shop.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

And of course, thanks to Mr bitman, aka Lawrence, we all have quite of few of the old style bits.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

More cutting edge and faster transport of chips up is good, but I would worry that the new bit may tend to screw itself into the wood more. More stress on the z drive. More of those plunge stalls. (It may really be dangerous on cast acrylic.) I hope someone will do some comparison testing.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Different supplier = slightly different bit.
    Glad everyone has had their coffee today. Personally I do not drink coffee because it doesn’t taste like it smells. My friends use a little coffee in their cream and sugar.

Anyway, thanks for the info that this is the correct bit.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    More cutting edge and faster transport of chips up is good, but I would worry that the new bit may tend to screw itself into the wood more. More stress on the z drive. More of those plunge stalls. (It may really be dangerous on cast acrylic.) I hope someone will do some comparison testing.
    I don't believe I would use this bit on acrylic with the Carvewright. The tightness of the twist would lead to clogging and then melting of the acrylic. This would be best for hard or fine grained woods. As with all things CNC you have to balance it out, materal + feed rate + chip removal.

7. Default

Just guesing from the photo but it looks like the old one makes approx. 1 revolution around the bit over it's length. The new one looks about 1.5. Maybe like the difference between a 40 and 60 tooth blade. It should cut a little smoother but maybe a little slower.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12