Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Block Printing and the CW.... Interesting Concept...

Default Block Printing and the CW.... Interesting Concept...

Found this Youtube video tonight and though of the CW... I have a local High End Tourist Gift Store that prints it's logo on brown bags with rope handles.

This Carving Material was the missing piece of the puzzle... Picture mounting this Pink Carving Substrate on a wood block with Double Stick Tape. Mounted in a Carrier Board Sled like Corian with wide sides to support the CW Rubber Rollers and not depress into the substrate.

Now design a logo art and carve away the EXCESS..... You could even Cut Path the block out of the bigger block... Watch the Video for printing methods.... and Even making Rubber Stamps....

The TRICK is weather the CW Carving or Cutting bits will cleanly cut the Pink Substrate.....

Food for Thought..... Could be a Marketable Product....

AL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNsTQ...eature=related
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al--I’ve been doing this for years , or actually for almost 5 years ,it’s the reason
    I bought the machine. This pink material is really a kind of rubber and although
    it cuts well with the cutters they are using that are designed to cut these type
    of materials, The carvewright bits will just chew rubbery materials like this
    up. The bits need a harder surface to cut. I’ve tried alot of materials -
    End grain wood is OK but even that chips, Linoleum the traditional block print material
    is pretty gummy and will gum up your machine, ( especially in the summer) rubber gets chewed up. I have finally settled on Composite Vinyl tile , you can get this at Home depot or Lowes for about .75 a square foot. I mount this on 1/2 plywood with rubber cement. I import a High Contrast image into Designer with a depth of .07-.09.
    Drag this pattern onto my board and set my carving parameters , and carve
    quality and I’m ready to go.

I’ve made Many many blocks this way and have used them to print images for my paintings. Will try and post some pictures.

I am having some problems I wanted to ask about with my block carving , but need to get my machine back on it’s feet with the edge detection error I’m getting right now .

I'm VERY interested in seeing your pics - this sounds like a wonderful new direction for our machines.

Lawrence

me too... Would really like to see some pics. Also maybe a pic of the material purchased at HD.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Sounds like a great idea please post more details finished product and material would be great!

Thanks for the Update... That Composite sounds like it would be a money maker.... A one time investment by a Store Owner and a lifetime of Printed Bags.... With OUR ability to quickly turn a logo into a Carving Pattern since the logo would most likely be one color....

The Edge Detection could be a snapped off LED in the Board Detector or a intermittent FSC Cable... Look for a 156 reading on white copy paper with the head cranked down.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...-45-44451.html

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Interesting, but kind of a hassel to print. I am lazy and use MS Publisher or PrintShop.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Sort of a Artsy Niche Market.... Many "GREEN" stores are selling the Canvas Grocery and Shopping Bags. This gives the store a ability to print Canvas, fancy brown paper bags and the likes.... I know a lady that does fancy Wedding Cards with this type of printing process.

AL

Y'all -- Here a a few photos of the composition vinyl tile -- y’all know the stuff.
    It’s commonly used on diner floors and kitchens. Some of you probably have this
    in your house. It’s made by armstrong and you can get it at any Home depot
    or Lowes or anywhere they sell flooring.It comes in 12” by 12” sheets for an
    average of .75 a square foot. I buy a case of it at a time now. It’s .125 in thick.
    It bends cuts and breaks easily. It has no structural integrity except on the flat
    like it’s designed to do. After much experimentation I’ve arrived at this material
    because it’s cheap , readily available and performs pretty well for my application.\:
    Block printing. Next the process........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tile1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	55339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tile2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	55340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	447.7 KB 
ID:	55341

The next posts will be:
    1.Image process
    2.Software process
    3. carving process
    4. problems I have ,had

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast