Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge detection Error

Default Edge detection Error

I’ve been having an edge detection error that I’ve been trying to eliminate for quite some time and I just don’t know what to do.

To start off I recently did a 500HR overhaul on my machine.I replaced gear and bearings in y motor pack, replaced FCC cable, replaced board sensor, sensor cable , z motor pcb board, y truck bottom roller bearings, (2) ,Y belt Idle pully assembly ,Retaining ring for 5mm external shaft, and oiled the flexible shaft.
    checked motor brushes, but did not replace.

2 carvings later -- I tore a y belt. I think my material was too tough and my
    bit might have been a little dull. (continued...)

After changing the belt - I’m was getting an Edge Dectection Error as soon as
    it started to check the board ( white pine, Lighted with a trouble light) . Checked my sensors board sensor reading 150+, I figured it might be
    the wiring for the board sensor. So I rechecked that, and I noticed a point on
    one of the wires that has rubbed through.I wrapped this with tape and buttoned
    everything back up.

Same Edge Detection Error.

Took it apart again. Replaced the wire to the board sensor with the old wire
    ( it was still good), and for good measure replaced the new board sensor
    with a good one I had. Buttoned it back up....
    board sensor IS working - reading up to 155.
    Same Edge detection Error, but instead of the error at the edge It goes to the
    center of the Board, before the error occurs

I updated the firmware, same story Edge detection error.

Kind of at a loss, here any suggestions?

IF the board is TOO dark the reflected light will not be high enough. Masking Tape on the board will help.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

It's White pine with a Florescent trouble light shining down on the board inside the cover, I've never had this trouble before.

But haven't tried the Masking tape yet , But I'll give it a shot......

Same story with the masking tape -- Edge dectection error, But without the light it stops at the edge and doesn't start
    to read the board, but with the light on it's go 1.5 inches or so then give the error.

5. Default

Just a wild a** guess but did you try it with the flouresent light off?

Terry -- yes without the light it will givethe error right away, with the light
    it will measure about 1 1/2 inches the ngive the error message.

Lets try a test of sorts,

Put your board in and lower the head down to the board. do a board sensor check (0,7) and with the head all of the way down move the truck across the board and see if the reading stays the same or changes. Also move the head up and down.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I was going to Post the very same test.... IF the reading drops out as you move the head manually in Y.... The FSC Cable could be bad... As it flexes it looses connection....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al,Floyd-- I loaded a 12" maple plywood blank and checked with the sensor .After several tests, the sensor starts to read the board around
    115 and as I move the head in the y plane , the reading goes up as much as 120 ,but pretty much stays in the 115-110 range and
    drops where there is a darker spot down to 85 then back up to 110-115. So Yes it does fluctuate but never goes down to zero.
    This is with the florescent trouble light on and off so it's the same either way. I just changed the FSC cable.I made sure the cable was
    fully inserted into both boards.

Quote Originally Posted by 55president View Post
    Al,Floyd-- I loaded a 12" maple plywood blank and checked with the sensor .After several tests, the sensor starts to read the board around
    115 and as I move the head in the y plane , the reading goes up as much as 120 ,but pretty much stays in the 115-110 range and
    drops where there is a darker spot down to 85 then back up to 110-115. So Yes it does fluctuate but never goes down to zero.
    This is with the florescent trouble light on and off so it's the same either way. I just changed the FSC cable.I made sure the cable was
    fully inserted into both boards.
    Ok so that sounds good on the readings with the plywood blank. Did you try your original board also to see what the reading are? One thought that just occurred to me. Your original board, was it a solid board or one that is in a sled or carrier??
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast