Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a registered copy of Vectric Software?

Steve just wondering how much time it took to recreate this project using the new tools. As I'm debating on purchasing the new tools.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

I'm probably going to start a S&*% storm here but, here goes:
    I never really intended to share it. I was just indundated with private mail asking for the MPC. But it does bring up some interesting questions. If you go to a bookstore and buy a book and then go to the copy machine and copy it several tines and then sell the copies, is that illegal? Probably! If you go the pattern depot and buy a pattern or a project and then go to the copy machine (Carvewright carver) and make several copies and then sell them, is that illegal? If you change the original but still used it as an inspiration and then sold or gave away the copies...etc. There are probably no clear cut difinative answers here but, there is certainly an abundance of opinions. Whatever the derivation of these opinions are, it seems one stands out above the rest, another chimes in with a +1, and the vigilantees get started and someone either gets "hung by the neck" or is afraid to post any messages of real meaning.

I am not one to plagirize someone else's work and as I mentioned before, this was just an exercise using only the Carvewright Designer to see if it could be done!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I'm probably going to start a S&*% storm here but, here goes:
    I never really intended to share it. I was just indundated with private mail asking for the MPC. But it does bring up some interesting questions. If you go to a bookstore and buy a book and then go to the copy machine and copy it several tines and then sell the copies, is that illegal? Probably! If you go the pattern depot and buy a pattern or a project and then go to the copy machine (Carvewright carver) and make several copies and then sell them, is that illegal? If you change the original but still used it as an inspiration and then sold or gave away the copies...etc. There are probably no clear cut difinative answers here but, there is certainly an abundance of opinions. Whatever the derivation of these opinions are, it seems one stands out above the rest, another chimes in with a +1, and the vigilantees get started and someone either gets "hung by the neck" or is afraid to post any messages of real meaning.

I am not one to plagirize someone else's work and as I mentioned before, this was just an exercise using only the Carvewright Designer to see if it could be done!
    This is software available on another web site for free. If it is being given away in another format I don't know how it would be illegal for you to convert and use in another format.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    This is software available on another web site for free. If it is being given away in another format I don't know how it would be illegal for you to convert and use in another format.
    Leo

Not exactly free (600 to 2k). Kind of like the project of the month here but at Vertric they offer these projects free to software subscribers to promote sales of their software. You have to have a current software version to run the project that it was created with. For example if you had Aspire Version 2 and the current project was designed in Version 3 you could not run the project. This is a incentive for Vertric to sell upgrades each year.

Not legal in my view to copy but that's just me.
    Last edited by PCW; 08-08-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Many of the Projects we have to pay for here are available free from Vectric.

Michael makes slight differences to the projects. Check out the March 2012 project, which I actually like better than the one we got (and had to pay for).

The projects are, however, copyrighted. So it wouldn't be cool (or legal) for us to take them, convert them, and then give them away. If you own a copy of Vcarve or Aspire, then you can do whatever you want for your own use.

Kenny

Leo

I didn't convert anything. Everything was created entirely from scratch in the Designer and inspired only by the original.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Carver View Post
    Steve just wondering how much time it took to recreate this project using the new tools. As I'm debating on purchasing the new tools.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff

It took around 10 or 12 hours. However, you have to remember it was a learning experience for me too. If I had to do it over again it would probably only take me a couple of hours. This includes creating the patterns and a little editing in the pattern editor and then placing them on the final layout board. Without doing a test carve it's difficult to determine how it will turn out. The new 2D and 3D add-on tools are really great and I am very glad I bought them.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-08-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Steve

... must... not... get.. pulled... into... copyright... infringement.... discussion.....

deleted due to rethinking whether I should get into this discussion or not....

Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrence; 08-08-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Lawerence

The rant wasn't really on copyrights. It was mostly directed at opinions. Solicited or otherwise. I really didn't mean to offend anyone. Just ranting!
    Steve

no worries at all Steve- you certainly didn't offend me

We still need to get together sometime - we're too close together not to share our experiences! The new software is certainly powerful and your project is a great example of how it can be used to make some wonderful stuff.

Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrence; 08-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast