Got the message ‘Please Clean Y Rail’ about 20 minutes into a 2 hour carve, so I cleaned the Y rail. LOL!
Anyway the 2 bearings on the Y motor gear box failed. My machine with 82 hours is still under warranty and I have a PENDING order with LHR to send replacement parts as soon as someone approves the order. (It’s not like they send this for free, $35.) In the mean time I ordered some bearings yesterday from Avid, they approved my purchase and shipped the same day.

Reading the forums it appears that the Y gear box bearings failing is just normal wear. I have never adjusted the Y belt and there are no obstructions as the Y truck travels. No doubt that too much tension on the belt can cause the bearings to fail. Also I have not had any errors with the measurements at the bit tip locator plate.

How about a dull bit, could this overload the Y gearbox? I normally use the original 1/16” Carving Bit on walnut or cherry and the cuts are still clean but I purchased a new bit anyway. Now I am wondering about the condition of the Z truck gearbox, is it next. I will take it apart tomorrow and see how it looks.

Since purchasing this machine I have shipped it back to LHR once for an unresolvable issue, replaced the X motor, X gears and roller belts. What else fails at 82 hours?