Thread: Solution to "GUI.EXE stopped working" error

Default Solution to "GUI.EXE stopped working" error

I have had this error on more than one computer with different versions of windows, I am currently using Win 7. I just finished paying for a session with carvewright tech support, and he was able to find a solution for me. The steps he took are:

1. Change compatability to win98service pack 3 (This did not solve the error)
    2. Remove all carvewright favorites files from the computer
    except the one in the carvewright directory
    ( I mean all "favorites" files even in other directories on your computer and the ones with numbers after them like, favorites 14823, no matter what directory they are in. you can delete them or move them to a dvd or thumb drive for backup.. GUI.EXE is trying to open more than one favorites file. This seemed to solve the error as designer opened)
    3. Open the carvewright designer and open "edit,.... preferances,....general"
    and change the cache to 256MB. (The 16 mb default assigned by designer is ok in win98 but is sometimes not enough in vista or win 7, I think this made designer run faster also!)

I hope sharing this helps solve this issue. I know I am not the onlyone that has had the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    I have had this error on more than one computer with different versions of windows, I am currently using Win 7. I just finished paying for a session with carvewright tech support, and he was able to find a solution for me. The steps he took are:

1. Change compatability to win98service pack 3 (This did not solve the error)

*The compatibility mode on this computer was already sent to Win98/ME, which is wrong. It was changed over to WinXP SP 3 to see if that would help. It did not.

2. Remove all carvewright favorites files from the computer except the one in the carvewright directory
    ( I mean all "favorites" files even in other directories on your computer and the ones with numbers after them like, favorites 14823, no matter what directory they are in. you can delete them or move them to a dvd or thumb drive for backup.. GUI.EXE is trying to open more than one favorites file. This seemed to solve the error as designer opened)

* This did seem to resolve the issue. Designer was trying to load all the favorites files. Not sure if renaming them would work.

3. Open the carvewright designer and open "edit,.... preferances,....general"
    and change the cache to 256MB. (The 16 mb default assigned by designer is ok in win98 but is sometimes not enough in vista or win 7, I think this made designer run faster also.

*The default setting for the rendering cache is 16 MB, which is enough for Windows XP. However, since Windows Vista/7 are more security intensive, and the OS needs more memory to perform better, upping the rendering cache to 256 MB seems to help with performance of the CW software.

*The de

I hope sharing this helps solve this issue. I know I am not the onlyone that has had the problem.
    I added a few things in red. I was the one that took control and figured out the issue. Most of the information murph stated was correct, with the exception of the OS. We had discussed Windows XP, not 98/ME. The software will not function on these ( I have tried... Don't ask why.).
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Default Thanks De for your clearification

Also I would like to add that when I say remove all the "favorites" files except the one created in the carvewright directory, I am referring to carvewright favorites only. There is a "Favorites" file in your users or owners directory that keeps your website favorites. Don't delete this one.

This has been posted lots of times on this form. You are over driving your computer memory. I hope you saved your "favorites" files. I make a lot of patterns when my Favorites file gets close to 100MB on a Windows XP it slows down, this tells me to clean that file, put it on a USB chip to save it - you can add that file chip any time you want to if you need those patterns. You can also buy more memory. I found the fact is, every time your CW program is loaded that file in put in your memory.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Default guie.exe error

I created a simple carving of a Cribbage board, but now when I go into the Designer software and try to open the file, I get the "gui.exe has stopped working" error and the program closes. It only happens when I try and open certain previously created files. I'm using Windows Vista Service Pack 2 OS.

Any suggestions?

Steve

6. Default

Probably could just look at the post above yours. I think it is the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sjwilson57 View Post
    I created a simple carving of a Cribbage board, but now when I go into the Designer software and try to open the file, I get the "gui.exe has stopped working" error and the program closes. It only happens when I try and open certain previously created files. I'm using Windows Vista Service Pack 2 OS.

Any suggestions?

Steve
    Steve,

Try running Designer in XP Compatibility Mode. In case you don't know how, right-click on the program icon, then select "Properties". From there, select the tab that says "Compatibility Mode", then choose "Windows XP".

Another suggestion is to upgrade your OS to Windows 7
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══