Thread: A few questions on how to improve this image to obtain a good pattern

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A few questions on how to improve this image to obtain a good pattern

I have been tinkering a little with Crazy Bump beta for Mac... I don't have a copy of Windows so I'm not really able to mess with the ShaderMap pro that others are using but CB seems to be capable of similar results...

The attached images are the original jpg file and the displacement map created with Crazy Bump and how it looks in Designer as a pattern. It's pretty close but there are some areas that I'm not crazy about.. The center cross on the shield needs work and the area just outside the shield to the left and lower right has some weird height changes going on... Not sure how to edit the image to eliminate the height issues as that seems like something Crazy Bump did and I haven't been able to stumble on combination of settings to change that yet. The center cross I think I just need to make the beveled edges all the same shade to fix that.

The first thing I'm thinking needs to be done is to convert the original image to grayscale and apply shades of gray with respect to how I want the heightmap to look once brought into designer after running through Crazy Bump again...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SigmaPiBigCrest_DISP.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	559.3 KB 
ID:	54963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SigmaPiBigCrest.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	277.6 KB 
ID:	54964
    Attached Files Attached Files