Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Clock and Wooden Chain - Project of the Month AUGUST 2012

Default Anchor Clock and Wooden Chain - Project of the Month AUGUST 2012

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for AUGUST 2012), the Anchor Clock and Wooden Chain.

This project demonstrates how fun and easy it is to create a wooden chain with your CarveWright machine. An Anchor Clock was thrown in for good measure - you know - so you could connect the chain to ‘something’! The chain pattern (PTN) as well as the Anchor pattern were created using the CarveWright Designer Modeling Suite and the Pattern Editor. (The project MPC's were laid out in Designer version 1.182 in case you haven't updated to the newest version yet, and the PTN's are compatible with ALL Designer versions).

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The completed Chain is about 19" long (but you can make it shorter or longer) and the Anchor is about 7" wide x 10" tall x ¾" thick.

Main items you will need
    1) The Project Files (included):
    • Wooden_Chain_Links.mpc
    • Anchor.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Chain Links: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24”
    Anchor: 0.75" x 11" x 18”

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above. NOTE: Make sure the chain link board is a full 1/2-inch thick. Otherwise the machine will not accept it without a sled or jig.

3) Sandpaper, wood glue (a type that dries clear such as TiteBond III), wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A 2¼" Clock insert. I used a model 15686 clock from www.Klockit.com

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice.
    Here’s what I used on my Anchor Clock and Wooden Chain made from Select Pine:
    Anchor
    • Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Black Cherry
    • Bullseye Sealcoat as clear top coat (Bullseye Sealcoat is actually a clear de-waxed shellac...this is NOT the same as regular clear shellac which is NOT dewaxed)
    • Krylon Clear Acrylic spray overall

Chain
    • Minwax Natural Stain #209 - I dipped the chain in the can and hung it up to dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chain-and-Anchor413x550.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

that (as always) looks AMAZING!

I was thinking about making a chain after reading about CNC chain making (I'd imagine it much easier on the CW) in a recent magazine.

Great looking project!

Lawrence

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

That looks great Michael! Can't wait to carve it. Thanks for all your unique ideas!
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Wow, I can't to get this one! Great work as usual!
    Jim

Trying to wrap my head around how you made that chain... can't wait to see the files!

Another Great one Michael. I already know a swabee I can make that one for HA!

Nice project, very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    Trying to wrap my head around how you made that chain... can't wait to see the files!
    My guess is that the links are 90° to each other, 45° off plane, like an "X".
    ~ Mark K

Another great project. I will be interested to see how you did the chain.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

It looks great....can't wait to fire up my CW and give it a try when it comes out.... The chain itself will turn some heads for sure....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Quote Originally Posted by bluecobra View Post
    My guess is that the links are 90° to each other, 45° off plane, like an "X".
    I think that would require a four sided carve. I have experimented with exactly what you suggest. See the mpcs below. My guess is that they are two sided carves and you have to glue some of the links together.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast