Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carving on irregular surface

Default Carving on irregular surface

I'd like to be able to carve on the semi flat part of a canoe paddle for some awards for a canoe race. Has any one done something simular?

Should I scan surface after making a jig to hold paddle and use that in making new pattern. I have seen some carvings on gun stocks here so I know it is possible. Just not sure how to accomplish this yet. I've been asked by my son's Boy Scout's leader to make these and would really like to give them some nice awards to give out to the boys.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I have never done anything like that, so until someone more knowledgeable in this area chimes in here is how I would do it if I were going to do it. Make a sled to fit the paddle and scan the area where you want the lettering etc. Smooth that pattern in the editor, then apply it in Designer just a hair higher than the depth where it will go (so the carving bit almost touches the surface). Use Centerline and Conforming Vectors to add the lettering. You can jog to the starting point, but if your design includes the whole sled, don't stay under the rollers, have the Z truck over an end when you start so the measure has an unbroken surface. and the carve should be in the correct place.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Thanks your your input you confirmed my thoughts. Hopefully someone who has done something like this will share some experience.

Please post a picture of the finished product. I would love to see how this turns out.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

I will if I can get one finished. I have also thought of just doing the carving with cut out and glueing to paddle.

Ive done several paddles at first i was just buying the cheep wooden ones from walmart. Since all the paddle were the same except different design on them.I took a scan of the paddle then then inverted it and cut it into a 2x12 in the center of board that way i could place paddle on sled same spot each time and center it without much trouble. After i cut out place for paddle to set i then added rails just a little higher than what paddle would set. Then if you take original pattern scan not inverted you can just add what you want to it in a carve region or use the scan as part of your pattern.Hopefully i did not make things more confusing once you try it ,it will make more sense you can do gun stock the same way. One More thing to think about is if you scan the paddle you can easily do a two sided carve in a 2x12 and cut out the whole paddle end your self with the design in it then get some aluminum pole for the neck of paddle and then cut out handle to fit like t shifter for car (free pattern on this forum)

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

That is the easiest i had some fiber glass i had left over from building a canoe so after applying pattern i wrapped the whole end in it but that was maybe a little over kill and i lost some detail so the next one i just added the two part epoxy and that worked out great

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

I will give scanning the paddle to make sled a try. Thanks! It is good to know it is possible.

After some trouble with cut motor and help from forum members (thank you for help chief2007 ) I was able to complete these awards for Boy Scouts. These were made from patterns shared on this forum thanks to all that made the work available. These awards were a great hit and finished just in time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120921_134315.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	56124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120921_134340.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	56125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120921_134349.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	56126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120921_134405.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	56127

I bet that you made some scout an award that will be remenbered for a lifetime. WELL DONE !!!

CAPT bARRY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast