Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner software

1. Default Beginner software

When initially purchasing a CarveWright what software would you recommend other than what comes with the machine. Centerline, STL, DXF?

thanks
    Bob R

Centerline is probably the only one I would recommend right off the bat. There is already a fair learning curve with the new machine and if you load up with all the software add-on's you will most likely just be overwhelmed. Start simple, once you have a good grasp of the basics, then you can better determine what software you might need to let you achieve you goals with the machine.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by rebarchik View Post
    When initially purchasing a CarveWright what software would you recommend other than what comes with the machine. Centerline, STL, DXF?

thanks
    Bob R
    From my own experience. I purchased Centerline, then DXF, then the two new software 2D & 3D. But now I'm not sure because with the new software I might buy the 2D first. You can used the 2D on demo mode.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Rob,

I would go with Doug's recommendation but would also add the conforming vectors if you are a beginner with any kind of designing software. If you are more advanced with this stuff then possibly the STL and the scanning probe.. check out the software tutorials on the CW site if you have not done so already..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    From my own experience. I purchased Centerline, then DXF, then the two new software 2D & 3D. But now I'm not sure because with the new software I might buy the 2D first. You can used the 2D on demo mode.
    You "can't" run the 2D in Demo.. I assume that was just a typo that you missed? Only the 3D can run in Demo

I would also second the Centerline as your first add-on. You'll probably find it the best bang for your dollar and with it, you can import line art for V-carves by using "dingbats"... search the tips and tricks section for the write up and there are a number of threads on the forum that will help you out if you're not sure how that works.

6. Default

Thank you all very helpful.

Bob R

I have a little different approach-- what types of things are you hoping to carve? This will help us advise you better as to what we think you should get.

V/r
    Lawrence

8. Default

I hope to do signs, plagues and awards. I also plan on purchasing the POM for a year to get my feet wet with other projects.

Bob R

In that case then I am 100% in agreement with those that said to go with centerline and the conforming vectors options first. Down the road a bit you would probably find the 2d tools to be very useful as well- esp for the offset function, but you can certainly get started with the base software and centerline/conforming vectors.

Lawrence

I also agree with the centerline and conforming vectors options first. I am coming up on my first year with my CW and find those two to be the best all around additions to the Designer Program. I am saving my allowance for the two new ones but hope to learn more about them before plopping down the bucks....the tutorials have been very helpful so far, but I will have to watch them a few times before they sink in....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast