Thread: Sled height for probe

Default Sled height for probe

Can anything heigher than 2.25" be scanned with the probe? I tried a sled with slightly higher rails and the rollers stopped it dead.

Quote Originally Posted by seathis View Post
    Can anything higher than 2.25" be scanned with the probe? I tried a sled with slightly higher rails and the rollers stopped it dead.
    I, for one, need more information.

Your rails must be higher than (or equal to) the model mounted on the sled. I, often, use auxiliary rails to gain the clearance needed.
    You may also use the plastic tip to extend your probe reach. However, I'm not sure you will be able to scan as deep as you wish. It may depend upon the sharpest rise of the model.

AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 07-20-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Well, AskBud, you were absolutely right in your assessment of the problem. I am now successfully scanning away as I write. I am posting this so that it might help a probe newcomer solve the same problem.

I built a scanning sled with side rails 2.25" above the bottom board. Today, since my project item was about 2.5" tall, I added additional top rails on each side for height and clearance. What I didn't notice was that one of those top rails had swiveled so that it was hitting the keyboard side, inside wall, of the machine. It brought the scan to a grinding halt. So, moral of the story, make sure any additional top rails do not protrude out past the sides. They can protrude in, but not out. I learned a new lesson today.

Once again, I'm grateful for the wisdom of AskBud. I wouldn't have known where to look first. He figured it out in 10 questions or less! Thank you.