Thread: 1/8 carving speed

Default 1/8 carving speed

On the store page it says the 1/8 carving bit can be used for faster carves in softer material but the estimated carving time is basicallly the same as the 1/16 bit. I have the most up to date software. Am I missing something somewhere? Thanks
    Morton

I would like to ask this question again. How does the CarveWright carve faster with the 1/8 bit compared to the 1/16 bit when the estimated carve time is the same? I really would like to start using the 1/8 more and am wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks
    Morton

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

The carve passes the 16th and 8th bits take are the same, so the carve time will be the same.

We updated the description on the 1/8" carving bit so that it no longer says faster.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

That is to bad. With the tapered 1/8th ball nose bits available, it would be a great day for CarveWright to carve a nice dtailed carving in half the time as. Maybe some day. Then you could get twice as much carving before the warranty runs out. I wonder then why anyone would want to use it for carving. You would lose detail. Might be handy for vector cutting.
    Last edited by mwhatch; 07-31-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    Morton

are you talking about the 3/16th carving bit versus the standard carving bit? If so, the difference in carving time is extremely significant. works great on project without a lot of fine detail. for example, I use the 3/16th bit on the oak and maple leaf trays and drops the carving time from about 3 hours to about 1 hour... love it. and I use the 3/16 cutting bit as often as possible because I can take fewer passes that with the 1/8 cutting bit... If I'm wrong, sorry for the post...

Quote Originally Posted by rickyz View Post
    are you talking about the 3/16th carving bit versus the standard carving bit? If so, the difference in carving time is extremely significant. works great on project without a lot of fine detail. for example, I use the 3/16th bit on the oak and maple leaf trays and drops the carving time from about 3 hours to about 1 hour... love it. and I use the 3/16 cutting bit as often as possible because I can take fewer passes that with the 1/8 cutting bit... If I'm wrong, sorry for the post...
    No, they're talking about the 1/8th carving bit:

http://store.carvewright.com/product...cat=291&page=1

So, it doesn't carve any faster and is only recommended for foam or very soft wood. Makes perfect sense if you just don't think about it.

I guess I will have to get a 3/16 bit and give it a try.
    Morton