Thread: Scroll Saw Patterns

1. Default Scroll Saw Patterns

Hi,
    I have some simple scroll saw patterns I wish to use with the carvewright. I can cut the patterns out in a couple of minutes with the scroll saw. I am able to scan the images on the copier and forward them to my computer. I was then able to pull it up in the pattern editor. My problem is that when I went to cut it out, it used the 1/16 carving bit. This took over 4 hours to cut out. What I want it to do is cut the outline out with a 1/8 cutter bit. This will give me straight edges instead of a taper from the carving bit. Basically I want to Cut out some simple patterns in 3/4" wood. I am missing a step somewhere.

Thanks,
    Marcus

For this, I would use the image you imported to draw vector lines, for tracing the pattern. Making sure the lines are connected (you will see the star when connected). Once completed, choose the cutpath, with a max depth of .2 for each pass. This is a quicker way of milling out the parts, plus you will have straight edges since you will be using the 1/8" cutting bit.

Vector lines are the connceted lines, spline, and line tools on the toolbar.

Forgot to mention you would then delete the original pattern you created leaving just the cut lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutpath.jpg  
    Last edited by eelamb; 07-17-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Here is an example of a scroll saw pattern in designer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scrollsaw.jpg  
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

4. Default

Thanks Eddie,
    That is exactly what I want to do. I will give it a try. I am making some small cars that we have been using the scroll saw to cut out. I thought it would be neat to cut them out on the carvewright. I am a shop teacher and last year my 8th grade students cut the cars out with the scroll saw for the kindergarten students. I then had the kindergarten students paint the cars and use a hand drill to drill the holes for the axles. The kindergartens had a great time. I trying to give our students some hands on experiences. Not many shop programs left with all the budget cuts. Thanks again for your help.

Marcus