Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odd behavior on cut path

Default odd behavior on cut path

If you create an arc that extends across a board and then use it to create a cut path, it will leave the top portion of the arc uncut. If you create a line and do the same thing, it will leave it all uncut. If you set the line at an angle it will leave the top portion of the line uncut.

I noticed this behavior in previous versions for the arc, but investigated a little further with the line and angled line in 1.184.

All cut paths seem to show the full cut as they should once you flip the cut out.

I have attached a screenshot to illustrate what I am describing.

dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cut path bug.png  

Hi Dave,

That does appear to be odd behavior, but there may be a "reason" for that. I believe that the Cut Path Tool is only intended to be used on closed vector shapes...not open lines or any other open vector (arcs or whatever). So, even though it may give the impression Designer isn't properly handling those types of cut paths you are attempting, it's not actually a bug...it's just that the Cut Path feature is not supposed to be used on open vectors. What you can do instead, is create your lines, arcs or whatever you want, then use the Bit Assignment Tool to assign the cutting bit to those lines and manually create your own "tabs" at appropriate locations along the vector.

Perhaps one of the engineers at CarveWright will see this post and make any comments and/or corrections if I am wrong in my thinking on this.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

This is interesting. I used an arc at the top of a cabinet door and it also did not cut all the way through the line. I've since decided I would just perform these cuts out in the shop because it's actually faster than letting the machine do it but I can verify that this has happened to another user. Perhaps Mike has the solution in the post above.

I remember seeing this before and that it was a bug in the display. The path will actually be cut. I do not think cut paths have to be closed curves. I think the idea is that they have to separate the board into two pieces. A cut path may not end on the board. It may connect to itself or have its ends off of the board.

Maybe Bud remembers his one.

Default Arc Cut Path

I just did a test in Designer. This picture shows the left arc as in your pic, and the Mirrored right arc. This may just be a Designer rendering problem, and not affect the operating of the full cut operation.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mirrored Arc Cut Paths.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	54668AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I remember seeing this before and that it was a bug in the display. The path will actually be cut. I do not think cut paths have to be closed curves. I think the idea is that they have to separate the board into two pieces. A cut path may not end on the board. It may connect to itself or have its ends off of the board...
    You may be right that it's just a rendering problem...I don't know...I never set up cut paths that way before. Here is an excerpt from the Software Owner's Manual (from page 86):

"Cut Path can only be applied to a closed vector or a path whose end points cross the edge of the board."
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    You may be right that it's just a rendering problem...I don't know...I never set up cut paths that way before. Here is an excerpt from the Software Owner's Manual (from page 86):

"Cut Path can only be applied to a closed vector or a path whose end points cross the edge of the board."
    Michael, The statement is true. However, in my test starting and end points are off the board. Draw your left arc, apply the cut path, then mirror to the right and apply that cut path. you will see the rendering. It also applies to up & down arcs as well (if I remember from former tests).
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

I was able to recreate it, and it appears to be split into 2 separate cut-through operations. It's going on the bug list.

How about them apples!
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post
    I was able to recreate it, and it appears to be split into 2 separate cut-through operations. It's going on the bug list.
    Thanks for letting us know. Much appreciated.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast