Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Results of my Winchester displays

Glad you will be able to pass that down what a great story. With pics of your Grandfather. I'm sure it will be cherrished by all that will own it in the future.

Hi Jerry, with that serial number it was made and released in 1891. That year ran from 38403-49724 for the model 1886 according to the Winchester Dates of Manufacture book. But he was right, don't ever try and clean the rust or the brown patina off and don't ever try and sand or modify the wood. You would loose about $1000. in doing so. I saw a model 1973 one time that all was left was the receiver and because of the number it was for sale for $2000 and it looked more useful as a boat anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    Actually the Serial number is 39626. The Historian at Winchester told me it was manufactured in January 1890 after he looked it up in his books. He recommended for me not to send it in for restoration and just keep clean. I wouldn't sell it and will pass it on to my son and on down the line. I have pics with my grandfather holding it while on horseback. Even have his silver pocket watch (also in photo) that he always kept in his vest pocket. I like to hold on to things for sentimental reasons.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Cool & thanks for the info. I guess I misunderstood or something. Does your book state what the month of release was? I tried to find more info on it on the internet & maybe I'll go back & try again.

Quote Originally Posted by leesheridan View Post
    Hi Jerry, with that serial number it was made and released in 1891. That year ran from 38403-49724 for the model 1886 according to the Winchester Dates of Manufacture book. But he was right, don't ever try and clean the rust or the brown patina off and don't ever try and sand or modify the wood. You would loose about $1000. in doing so. I saw a model 1973 one time that all was left was the receiver and because of the number it was for sale for $2000 and it looked more useful as a boat anchor.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

If they could only talk, what stories they hold. Well Done !

Capt Barry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12