Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Made in China

Default Made in China

I didn't realize these machines were made in China. Imagine my disappointment, especially when out of the box a bolt falls out on the table. One side of a feed table was loose and the hex head shoulder bolt is stripped. Hope this is not an omen of things to come. Brand new machine straight out of the box, not even plugged in yet.

Welcome!!!! WE are here to HELP as you know.... Work through the issues and be sure to read the Tips and Tricks for good stuff...

Sorry about the problems out of the box.... If you can't fix it, contact LHR.

I am glad to see you have been reading for a while and will go into this as a TEAM.... Good Job !!!!

From a earlier post of yours.....
    "After lurking since 2009, I have placed an order for a new CW. My wife is good with software and she is more excited than I am. A special thanks to Bruce Kinney for allowing me into his shop for a..."

WE are here to help you the best we can. To answer your very first post, "YES, it is worth it.....". This little Hobby Machine can do some fantastic stuff....

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I wasn't too happy with that either. I think some of the problems that are blamed on operator error are from poor quality control in China. I don't think that the recipe for the Cadbury candies included Melamine or toys were spec'd out with lead.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jiml View Post
    I wasn't too happy with that either. I think some of the problems that are blamed on operator error are from poor quality control in China. I don't think that the recipe for the Cadbury candies included Melamine or toys were spec'd out with lead.
    WHAT!! Please tell me you are not talking about my Cadbury eggs?!? I thought Cadbury was British. I don't think I could give them up even knowing they had a problem.... melamine? Are you sure? Damn, can't even trust the easter bunny. LOL

And what would you expect from a guy who runs around in a bunny suit.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

The quality of goods has less to do with the country of origin and more to do with the level of quality control and allowed tolerances out of a factory. The sawstop, for example, is made in Taiwan... and I really had a good look-over of one and it was as high a quality product as you will see coming off of any US factory floor--

good design + high quality materials + tight tolerances + good QC = good product

This level of work also means a higher price. Every company works to find a workable medium of quality versus cost ... I personally think that LHR has done a good job at finding this medium.

Lawrence

ps- I shudder to think of how much it would cost to produce the CW in the USA... unfortunate but true... my guess is that it would no longer be anywhere close to the price it is now.
    LDR
    Last edited by lawrence; 07-13-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Factories in China ( or anywhere ) can churn out crap filled with lead paint or works of art like the iPad. It really comes down to what the company outsourcing the product is willing to take responsibility for when it comes to overseeing QC. It just happens that China does tend to churn out some low quality products but it's only because some company looking to capitalize on the cheap labor allows it to happen.
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

In my opinion there is no quality control at LHR. The statement, and I paraphrase, "don't be concerned it there is a little sawdust in the machine when you get it. Every machine is tested before shipment" is not factual. I also had a defective machine right out of the box. I would also think that the purpose of the forum would be for techniques on how to use the machine, not how to repair it.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fspearman1 View Post
    In my opinion there is no quality control at LHR. The statement, and I paraphrase, "don't be concerned it there is a little sawdust in the machine when you get it. Every machine is tested before shipment" is not factual. I also had a defective machine right out of the box. I would also think that the purpose of the forum would be for techniques on how to use the machine, not how to repair it.
    Frank, did you ever get your machine fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by fspearman1 View Post
    "don't be concerned it there is a little sawdust in the machine when you get it. Every machine is tested before shipment" is not factual. I also had a defective machine right out of the box.
    that doesn't mean it wasn't damaged in shipping man- the trip to our houses is probably the most dramatic thing our machines go though in their working lifetimes-

PM sent,

Lawrence

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast