Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having difficutly being able to establish a cut path.

So Far the only way I can see to do this is, to use the original lines and arcs as a guide with which to use the connected line tool to completely trace it out? Is that really the solution? Is there no way to connect a arcs and connected lines to give a cut path?

Thanks in advance for any feedback guidance.

Regards,
    Doc
    Regards,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by thebytedoc View Post
    So Far the only way I can see to do this is, to use the original lines and arcs as a guide with which to use the connected line tool to completely trace it out? Is that really the solution? Is there no way to connect a arcs and connected lines to give a cut path?

Thanks in advance for any feedback guidance.

Regards,
    Doc
    It's how you attack the elephant!
    Check your PMs.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Doc

To connect the red dots, they have to be end points. You cannot connect middle points (corners for example). I played around with your MPC and this is what I came up with.
    Steve

Floyd,
    Does this mean you were able to establish a cut path with this shape? I have tried, even from scratch and am not having luck thus far. Seems silly, it is really a very simple pattern, I really should be able to draw a couple arcs, connect them them and have a cut path?! I am obviously missing something somewhere.
    As always, appreciate any guidance provided!

Regards,
    Doc
    Yes I was able to get a cut path. As Steve stated "You cannot connect middle points (corners for example)." I did several "remove vertex" and like I said had to delete several of the paths. But silly me did not save what I did.

EDIT: went back and did it again! Lots easier this time though, LOL! this time I did not have to remove any vertex. Compare my mpc to your original to see what I eliminated...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fwharris; 07-07-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default Connected Lines project-4

Doc was having problems making line figures in to single connected line objects. he has had lots of help, even folks handing him the end product, However he still has problems with the concept.

Here is a 129 MB lesson using his MPC as the base of the lesson.
    It may be found in my "Download" link, below, titled "Connected Lines project-4"
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Doc, what Sketchup exporter are you using?

I'm using the Sketchup to DXF or STL plugin from here:
    http://www.guitar-list.com/download-...les-dxf-or-stl

I created a half-moon shape similar to yours, but in SAE, and it imported good and was able to define a cut path as is.

Maybe this will help make the process easier for you.
    ~ Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    Doc was having problems making line figures in to single connected line objects. he has had lots of help, even folks handing him the end product, However he still has problems with the concept.

Here is a 129 MB lesson using his MPC as the base of the lesson.
    It may be found in my "Download" link, below, titled "Connected Lines project-4"
    AskBud
    Bud,
    First off, thank you immensely for taking the time to specifically address my little problem. Your video made it very simple indeed. I was on the right track. The point of this excercise for me is to learn how to use the CW for a precision cutting tool for intricate pieces (starting simple of course . So when I attempted to connect the lines I was zooming in with a grid spacing of .06 and attempting to connect them at that resolution. Your video was great in that I now know what to look for when it is connecting (the two stars overlapping). Obviously I was not getting that and I am not sure why not? From an engineering standpoint "moving ever so slightly" to line them up takes out some of the precision. Of course in this example it hardly matters. Your systematic approach is terrific and I thank you.
    Regards,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Yes I was able to get a cut path. As Steve stated "You cannot connect middle points (corners for example)." I did several "remove vertex" and like I said had to delete several of the paths. But silly me did not save what I did.

EDIT: went back and did it again! Lots easier this time though, LOL! this time I did not have to remove any vertex. Compare my mpc to your original to see what I eliminated...
    Floyd,
    Again, thank you! Of course your end result is exactly what I was attempting to achieve. I am going to play with my original utilizing all the terrific pointers I have received here and attempt it from scratch on my own. I shall report back
    Regards,
    Doc

Bud,
    First off, thank you immensely for taking the time to specifically address my little problem. Your video made it very simple indeed. I was on the right track. The point of this excercise for me is to learn how to use the CW for a precision cutting tool for intricate pieces (starting simple of course . So when I attempted to connect the lines I was zooming in with a grid spacing of .06 and attempting to connect them at that resolution. Your video was great in that I now know what to look for when it is connecting (the two stars overlapping). Obviously I was not getting that and I am not sure why not? From an engineering standpoint "moving ever so slightly" to line them up takes out some of the precision. Of course in this example it hardly matters. Your systematic approach is terrific and I thank you.
    Just a slight correction in your thinking. You will only see one star burst. What the video is showing you is that burst, and my mouse click as well.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

First off Thanks to all that helped! This little problem turned into an excellent learning experience! Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoEndPoints.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	54541Bud helped me to see the root of the problem here. Notice in the figure that the inner arc is selected but shows no endpoints! That was the trouble I had. The simple cure was to toggle Non-Enpoints again so that I had the red nodes and then right click directly on the red node and break figure. Once I did that I was able to connect my pieces. It would seem this is an artifact of the export process.

Under the covers, so to speak, there are many, many smaller elements: lines and arcs. I was not catching on so much to really all the extra fodder that is included here. I was looking at the cut list and not seeing that many elements, but you could go through and break figure on just this one arc and come up with dozens of elements that make up a simple arc.

Endpoint behavior: If you take two arcs and connect them together you will not see any end points same with a square, connected lines, etc. The one element that behaves differently is a circle. Create a circle and you will see two endpoints even with the Toggle Non-Endpoints. Curious.

That is what I learned in school today
    Regards,
    Doc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast