Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having difficutly being able to establish a cut path.

Default Having difficutly being able to establish a cut path.

I have looked for the answer and tried to connect all the dots, so to speak, to no avail. I am attempting to have my CW cut this half moon piece. I have grouped it so that I can have it simply cut the halfmoon and have it mark the notches for manual cutting.

This was originally an imported DXF File. I deleted a great deal of what came in (first attempt at this). I used the Connected line tool to try to get it to be closed up so I can set a cut path, then of course I would insert tabs.

Any help/education on this process would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Doc
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards,
    Doc

Do a "select all" and then from the "view" tab select "toggle non-endpoints" . Any end points that are not connected will be highlighted "red". Zoom in and move the red dots until you get a star to indicated they are connected..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks Floyd. I read the toggle end points in another post but was not getting the red dot -> X thing. Thanks!!
    Regards,
    Doc

Doc,

You very welcome. I did play with your mpc a bit just to see and did have some issues with getting them connected. Thinking it might be with how the vectors were brought in from the dxf. You might need to add some paths to get them to connect...

Also if the number get in the way of the view you can toggle the labels off..

MORE:.. looking at it now and I am having to "break figure" in some areas and deleting lines to make connections.. almost there..
    Last edited by fwharris; 07-07-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Gadzooks Floyd,
    You are too generous with your time and I can not tell ya how much it is appreciated. This was simply meant to be an exercise in using DXF Import and doing a cut pattern, neither have I done before. So your time and insight are hugely appreciated! Of course it is a simple figure and could be drawn within designer very simply, but then that would have completely missed the point

Best Regards,
    Doc
    Regards,
    Doc

6. Default

Just out of curiosity, were any of the none connected areas mirrored?

Quote Originally Posted by thebytedoc View Post
    Gadzooks Floyd,
    You are too generous with your time and I can not tell ya how much it is appreciated. This was simply meant to be an exercise in using DXF Import and doing a cut pattern, neither have I done before. So your time and insight are hugely appreciated! Of course it is a simple figure and could be drawn within designer very simply, but then that would have completely missed the point

Best Regards,
    Doc
    No problem Doc! I use a lot of these as a learning tool for myself. I had to go back and look at it some more out of curiosity just to see why the connections would not complete the path. I did see some duplication on lines that had me baffled for a bit...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

No, I did remember reading about that in a post also. But, no, just a simple DXF import from Google Sketchup. For such a simple object it sure does go to town with the polylines! I think Google Sketchup Vectors evertyting relative to the origin point. It had 30+ polylines coming from the origin point. Very strange behavior. Again, a learning experience for me
    Regards,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    No problem Doc! I use a lot of these as a learning tool for myself. I had to go back and look at it some more out of curiosity just to see why the connections would not complete the path. I did see some duplication on lines that had me baffled for a bit...
    Floyd, some of that duplication was so I could determine if I wanted CW to do the Notches or just simple cut the arc and I would manually cut the notches. Even still, I wanted CW to scribe the cut lines for the notches even if it did not actually cut them out. That is why I groupled it the way I did, had a method to my madness .

An additional point of interest, the DXF came in 10x larger than the original Google Sketchup drawing. I had to change the scale in the import to .1. Any notions on why that happened? Of course I prefer to work in metric, although I am not sure that has a specific bearing on it.
    Regards,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Floyd,
    Does this mean you were able to establish a cut path with this shape? I have tried, even from scratch and am not having luck thus far. Seems silly, it is really a very simple pattern, I really should be able to draw a couple arcs, connect them them and have a cut path?! I am obviously missing something somewhere.
    As always, appreciate any guidance provided!

Regards,
    Doc
    Regards,
    Doc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast