Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Having difficutly being able to establish a cut path.

Doc,

Your very welcome and glad to hear things fell into place for you. Great exercise!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

At the risk of beating a dead horse here...As we live, we learn (or so I hope).

The real secret to doing this is really in the import DXF process. Had I been more persistant about the the autoConnect I would have been able to cut out all that mess with connecting lines and all that (although it was a great learning experience)! As it turns out by adjusting the tolerance for connecting I was able to close the entire figure in the import process.
    Regards,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by bluecobra View Post
    Doc, what Sketchup exporter are you using?

I'm using the Sketchup to DXF or STL plugin from here:
    http://www.guitar-list.com/download-...les-dxf-or-stl

I created a half-moon shape similar to yours, but in SAE, and it imported good and was able to define a cut path as is.

Maybe this will help make the process easier for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebytedoc View Post
    At the risk of beating a dead horse here...As we live, we learn (or so I hope).

The real secret to doing this is really in the import DXF process. Had I been more persistant about the the autoConnect I would have been able to cut out all that mess with connecting lines and all that (although it was a great learning experience)! As it turns out by adjusting the tolerance for connecting I was able to close the entire figure in the import process.
    Doc, with all due repect, that's why I mentioned a different dxf/stl exporter for sketchup. Why futz around with something if it can be removed entirely by using a different plug-in?
    I should point out that I work in SAE, so your metric may make a difference, although I don't see how it would.

Good luck!
    Last edited by bluecobra; 07-13-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    ~ Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by bluecobra View Post
    Doc, with all due repect, that's why I mentioned a different dxf/stl exporter for sketchup. Why futz around with something if it can be removed entirely by using a different plug-in?
    I should point out that I work in SAE, so your metric may make a difference, although I don't see how it would.

Good luck!
    Mark,
    I am using Sketchup 8 pro, so it has a built in export to DXF and STL. I have played with plug-in as well. It is a great plug-in and I appreciate it! However, it did have the same behavior (for me), again the cure is/was to use the Auto-connect Slider. Additionally, the plug-in was smarter about the scaling factor, no adjustment was needed. It would seem the built in export confuses millimeters and centimeters (or I am missing a step, but geez that would never happen! , so the difference of a decimal point makes sense and is really not a big deal, just adjust the scale factor and all is well. Thanks for the follow-up. Still scaling the learning curve on Sketchup and Designer, but it is fun!
    Regards,
    Doc

Already, one more advantage to the Export plug-in for Sketchup (again, thanks Mark!): You are able to select specific elements you want exported, where the built-in exports ports the entire sketch, regardless of what is Selected.
    Regards,
    Doc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123