Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: While waiting for more tutorials to come online, question about the Smart Spline Tool

Default While waiting for more tutorials to come online, question about the Smart Spline Tool

I just finished watching Bud's tutorial on the Image Tracing feature and I have a question about the Smart Spline Tool. I know we are all learning and some of us, like me, are just learning by watching what others like Bud are doing as they learn the tools. SO, I don't want to jump to any conclusions from just one tutorial but the Smart Spline tool looks like it did nothing different from the connected line tool we already have. I'm sure this is not the case and maybe it's just a matter of Bud didn't take the tool to it's full potential in that first tutorial.

What exactly does the Smart Spline tool do that is unique from the other 2d drawing tools we already have? Sorry if I'm being impatient and if there are tutorials coming from LHR or Mike that are addressing this in depth I suppose I can squelch my curiosity a bit longer

The image trace looks pretty cool. I'm wondering about importing something like a family crest like the one attached and whether it would be possibly to trace the image and create a relief pattern similar to the one already available in the pattern strore? I attached the image I would import and a screen shot of the one available so you can see what it is that I would like to achieve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coa_pattern.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	54455This is the Pattern available

Name:	Patterson_COA.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	315.7 KB 
ID:	54456This is a COA that I have worked with in the past and I would like to duplicate in a way that is similar to the COA patterns above

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    I just finished watching Bud's tutorial on the Image Tracing feature and I have a question about the Smart Spline Tool. I know we are all learning and some of us, like me, are just learning by watching what others like Bud are doing as they learn the tools. SO, I don't want to jump to any conclusions from just one tutorial but the Smart Spline tool looks like it did nothing different from the connected line tool we already have. I'm sure this is not the case and maybe it's just a matter of Bud didn't take the tool to it's full potential in that first tutorial.

What exactly does the Smart Spline tool do that is unique from the other 2d drawing tools we already have? Sorry if I'm being impatient and if there are tutorials coming from LHR or Mike that are addressing this in depth I suppose I can squelch my curiosity a bit longer

The image trace looks pretty cool. I'm wondering about importing something like a family crest like the one attached and whether it would be possibly to trace the image and create a relief pattern similar to the one already available in the pattern strore? I attached the image I would import and a screen shot of the one available so you can see what it is that I would like to achieve.

Name:	coa_pattern.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	54455This is the Pattern available

Name:	Patterson_COA.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	315.7 KB 
ID:	54456This is a COA that I have worked with in the past and I would like to duplicate in a way that is similar to the COA patterns above
    Is this the image you are looking for, The MPC file is over 1MB and I can't post it on this forum, PM with an e-mail I can send it to you. You can make this on a $29.00 program called ShaderMap Pro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Patterson_COA2 smp.jpg   Patterson_COA2 cw.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Wow... that looks really good! I'll PM you my email. I imagine you probably did this in about under 30 minutes? Now I have just found a reason to load Windows on my Mac! I'll look into it on their website but what type of format does the program export for Designer, is it just a greyscale image or does it require the STL import ?

What exactly does the Smart Spline tool do that is unique from the other 2d drawing tools we already have?
    Hello Ton,

I think one of the cool functions of the the smart spline tool is it lets you draw lines and curves interactively without changing the tool sets via the menu.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 07-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Hello, the smart spline tool lets you draw lines and curves without changing the tool sets via the menu.
    Hi LG, if I understand what you said correctly it's basically not adding anything new ability wise but it's making it simpler to trace an image by cutting down on the steps to interact with the other 2D drawing tools?

Thanks
    john

Ease of use quicker designs...

I think Designers curves before the upgrade are some of the best but stopping in mid flow when laying down lines and curves can be a hassle in the creative department...

I am using the Smart spline as my default layout tool now and love it. Before i had to combine the lines and curves as one path but not anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    I just finished watching Bud's tutorial on the Image Tracing feature and I have a question about the Smart Spline Tool...maybe it's just a matter of Bud didn't take the tool to it's full potential in that first tutorial.

What exactly does the Smart Spline tool do that is unique from the other 2d drawing tools we already have?
    Howdy,

The Smart Spline Tool is similar to drawing tools found in other graphic software programs (like CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator). It's different from the standard Spline tool we already have in Designer, as it gives us the ability to create our vectors using Tangent and Free nodes, on the fly, while drawing. The current Spline Tool only allows for drawing with all the nodes tangent, then you have to go back and manually select nodes you want to change to "free" (to draw a sharp corner, for example). Or, if you use the Connected Line tool, all the nodes are "sharp" (free nodes) and you would have to go back and manually change some nodes to tangent. So, the new Smart Spline Tool just makes the task of drawing go quicker, and like LG, it's become my "go-to" drawing tool for drawing shapes that have a combination of curves and straight lines.

In Bud's video where he is tracing around the shield, it did not show really how the Smart Spline Tool is supposed to be used. He made a lot of extra nodes that were unnecessary, and went back to change forms of the vectors in many places (he used arcs where I would have used splines, and I would have deleted about half or more of the nodes to achieve the same effect). Like you said, we are all learning, and this is a tool that will require some practice to get the feel for, and to be used most efficiently. Once over the learning curve, I think folks will appreciate its convenience.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Mike,

Thanks for all that info. I figured there had to be something more to that tool. I'll be looking forward to more info over the coming days... Any time frame on when you will have your info ready to post?

Where can I find Buds tutorial.

Thanks
    Last edited by cwm; 07-08-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling always spelling

Quote Originally Posted by cwm View Post
    Where can I find Buds tutorial.

Thanks
    find one of his posts.. link is in his signature..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast