Thread: 1/2 ' lithopane

Default 1/2 ' lithopane

I am carving a lithopane of a 4 year old young boy wholost his battle with cancer this week. I was cutting a lithopane for his motherin 1/2 corian when my bit snapped. Not sure what caused it. I carved it on best,should I change it to optimal to slow it down or is there a way to set maxdepth on this. I can’t seem to figure it out if there is. Thanks for everyone’shelp.

landen mom.mpc
    Last edited by k9smith; 07-01-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spelling
    Joe

Joe,
    Sorry to hear about that youngster passing from cancer. Terrible. Give my sympathies to the little guy's parents and family.

As to your 1/2 inch lithopane- you have to carve too deep and that is too hard on the bit. If you are carving down deep enough to get the image to show thru- the bit has to cut really deep into that hard material. Bit breakage is probably certain. Check out the Jan 2009 Tips and Tricks on Lithopanes. I've used 1/4 inch Corian (I got a ton of it on Ebay) and it works well. Carve down only about .180" or so to keep from breaking your bits. Half inch Corian is easy to get- we just need a good way to plane it down to 1/4 " so it is useable!
    Mark W

Yeah I have made a bunch of them in 1/4"t got areally good deal on some half inch so I was hoping to be able to use that. Iknow others have made lithos with half just wasn’t sure if I was missing something.
    Joe

I agree with Mark I have had no luck with Half inch. I think you will break bite at the depth setting you have. Good luck. My sympathies and prayers for the family
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

It also looks like your pattern is too large for your size Corian. The rollers will lose traction without a surface to press against. The software should have warned you about this. You may need to make your pattern a little smaller.

My condolences on the loss to the family also.

David S.

The actual piece i used was about 15" longer than needed , so it shouldnt have lost traction. Thanks for the idea though.
    Joe

Joe-
    have you tried editing your photo to reduce the deep section in the upper corner? After looking at your MPC again I noticed it looks like the photo has a really dark corner. I think the Carvewright will try to carve that deep section all in one pass and could break the bit. If the photo was edited so the background was a lighter shade before you import the image- it might carve in 1/2 inch material. Just a theory.
    Mark W