Thread: can't let you guys at the convention have all the fun - grape harvest from one vine

Default can't let you guys at the convention have all the fun - grape harvest from one vine

Last year we bought a grape vine because LOML just wanted one... I didn't expect much and last year we got 2 or 3 bunches with really tiny grapes on them... they were sweet but not big (neither big bunches nor big grapes) This year I actually read on how to care for the vine (pruning, thinning etc) and kindof followed the instructions....

Again, this is from this single vine you see behind the palms in this picture

We finally did our first harvest (more are still on the vine- the low branches aren't quite ripe yet

12 lbs of grapes so far.....

and they are wonderfully sweet

a few lunch-bag fulls have already gone to the neighbors, and we'll enjoy the rest.

Hopefully next year is as good a harvest- but my expectations were certainly exceeded this year.

Lawrence

just need a little cheese for a nice snack. making me hungry.lol

When is the Wine and Cheese party.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

What a wonderful harvest you've had Lawrence. Congratulations all around. Time for some appropriate grape cluster carvings.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Great harvest, Lawrence. They sure look good and make my mouth water....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

6. Default

Wow. Already?? I have had grape vines for years but they are never ready to pick until mid September. I guess I should get that book and learn a little myself! The climate can have a big impact. Mine never get that big either. Nice work.