Thread: Opinion poll: what's the best all around carving material?

Default Opinion poll: what's the best all around carving material?

I'm interested in using my CW to make some molds for sand casting. I'd like for them to come out of the machine pretty clean with minimal cleanup work. They would be sealed or painted and will have plenty of draft so they'll easily release from the sand. They would need to be sturdy and durable.

So, what's the best wood or material for mold making? I've used pine, oak, cherry, walnut, and cedar in my CW for regular projects and I've generally had good results with all. I've never carved any pvc or foam. I'm curious what all of you guys consider your "best" material for a painted project.

Here's an mpc of what I'm thinking of trying first, just so you get the idea. Our town's school mascot is a pirate by the way.

car club plaque pirates.mpc

I used 6/4 clear pine for a mold pattern, sanded and painted with shellac. Worked good for sand cast in brass. Jim

I'm partial to Corian and the like products, of course cutting that deep might be a problem, but if you didn't cut so deep, corian would be great for that project...
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Looking though the lists of wood that you have used, I'm partial to the oak, the reasons are, 1st the oak is not to bad to work with, strong hardwood which would add to the life of userabilty of the molds. I come from the salt water on the east coast and have seen some pretty hard conditions with salt water and the weather conditions. The draft set at med. or better should help with release from the mold and also checking. I also recommemd putting a reisin to seal the mold .A good wax for a release of casting. Good Luck !

Capt Barry

I'm usually an oak guy myself but doing this sign out of cypress gives me a new appreciation for it. It carves really clean and isn't very hard on your bits. The dust is a little heavier due to its moisture content but other than that its a good choice as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

I have good luck with knoty alder. The machines dust collector gets all of it and it cuts nice and clean. I only comes in 1x6 from the mills but I'm able to get it from a company that glues them into panels and then drum sands them so at 2'x6' for $25. it works fine for me. The knots in the wood finish out great.
    In Him, Mike
    msphilpott@tnet.biz

Quote Originally Posted by chevytrucking View Post
    I'm interested in using my CW to make some molds for sand casting. I'd like for them to come out of the machine pretty clean with minimal cleanup work. They would be sealed or painted and will have plenty of draft so they'll easily release from the sand. They would need to be sturdy and durable. <br>
    <br>
    So, what's the best wood or material for mold making? I've used pine, oak, cherry, walnut, and cedar in my CW for regular projects and I've generally had good results with all. I've never carved any pvc or foam. I'm curious what all of you guys consider your "best" material for a painted project. <br>
    <br>
    Here's an mpc of what I'm thinking of trying first, just so you get the idea. Our town's school mascot is a pirate by the way.<br>
    <br>
    car club plaque pirates.mpc
    <br>
    <br>
    I think you will need to flip your letters, it's like making a rubber stamp.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    <br>
    <br>
    I think you will need to flip your letters, it's like making a rubber stamp.
    Well, I don't know... I think the pattern should be an exact copy of the finished casting. If you were making a rubber stamp, it would have to backwards, right? In a sand cast mold, you would be filling the mold from the rear of finished surface, so viewing the empty mold it would appear backwards, but actually be correct when the finished part is removed. Right? Wrong? This is a new hobby I've been reading about and getting interested in (like I need another) so I haven't actually tried it. I'm collecting the materials now to build a small furnace and I'm hoping to be set up by colder weather to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by chevytrucking View Post
    Well, I don't know... I think the pattern should be an exact copy of the finished casting. If you were making a rubber stamp, it would have to backwards, right? In a sand cast mold, you would be filling the mold from the rear of finished surface, so viewing the empty mold it would appear backwards, but actually be correct when the finished part is removed. Right? Wrong? This is a new hobby I've been reading about and getting interested in (like I need another) so I haven't actually tried it. I'm collecting the materials now to build a small furnace and I'm hoping to be set up by colder weather to give it a try.
    Your right you don't keep the sand mold.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

You might try this company that sells mold making materials: www.freemansupply.com
    Joe
    Plea of Insanity for Addiction to ol' H-D Sporters