Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much currend does the machine draw.

Default How much currend does the machine draw.

I just got my second machine - well actually my fourth, but Sears took the first 2 back in lew of repairs. What I need to know is will a 30A breaker handle 2 machines and a 3/4hp DC. Two 30A circuits feed my shop. The saws and planers etc will be on the other circuit.
    Thanks
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Billings, Montana, United States, 112454482100538, Billings, Montana

I run 2 machines and 2 shop vac on a 20 amp breaker no problem Ross

That's a lot for a 20 amp breaker, isn't it?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

I tested my machine a while back and posted the results. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...er-consumption

I also posted some consumption results on lithophanes: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ts-1-1.5-amp-2

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I remember reading a few questions regarding how much power the CW uses. This morning while carving Jeff Birt's apple project, I hooked the CW up to my watt-hour meter to find out.

The project took about 1.5 hours to carve, but I had the machine on for another 15 minutes or so during setup and to square the board. The board was pine so it carved easily.

When the cut motor was not running, current draw was low, about 2 amps. On start up, the cut motor peaked at 10 amps momentarily, but dropped quickly to about 4.5 amps, whether it was carving wood or in the air. Once in a while the machine would bump up to 5 amps, but it was rare. I imagine it would be slightly higher when carving higher density woods, and will be sure to test it when I carve something harder.

And the most important number I like to know is how many kilowatt-hours the machine uses while carving a project - The CW used just under 0.5 kilowatt-hours of power to create the apple project. Here in Maine, with a price of about 12 cents per KWH, that calculates to about 6 cents of electricity to make the apple. Cheap enough!
    Last edited by brdad; 06-22-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Be careful of a drawback turnning to many machines on a single line. I only run one at a time , if I need more than one ,then I use a different circut for each.

Capt Barry

6. Default

If it is an old building with Old, old breakers a 20 amp may only, acutally be able to handle 70 or 80 percent of that before breaking the circuit. I only run one CW and dust collector on one 20 amp and the second machine on a different 20 amp.

I say 20 amp is fine as long as it not a long run, I run a air compresser and a CW at he same time..

Thanks for the Info. Sounds like the 30A should be ok with the 3/4hp DC. I will start them on at a time. The compressor is on the other circuit. On total consumption, the almost 250 hr project I just finished bumped my electric bill about $30 according to the family CFO, so that is what I charged Clint's Custom Carving. But that project bought my new machine and payed the family budget back what I spent woodworking so far this year.
    Thanks
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Wichita, Kansas, United States, 105674782800210, Wichita, Kansas

Correct me if I'm wrong. But, I don't think they make a 30amp 120v breaker. Now 240v? yes.
    I have a fever, and the only prescription is more COWBELL!

10. Default

I have a few. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door and found SAWDUST all over everything!
    120/240 volt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30ampbreaker.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast