Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A more accurate rope?

Default A more accurate rope?

I certainly don't want to appear ungrateful or petty. All of the rope patterns I find are just a little skewed or uneven. We have decided to carry the rope theme throughout our home. This will require a more accurate rope. Most of you have seen my stallion door header. the rope that I used to surround stallions was inaccurate and a little crooked. it required a lot of post carving work to look anywhere near realistic. so I am requesting a more accurate rendering of a rope. Or rather two ropes. For the sides of my entry door. I want to carve rope columns. They will be 4.5" wide .8" deep 80" long. I will impose my address on one side and street on the other. The problem... At that size the rope looks like a barber pole. That size rope is made up of smaller ropes. The contrast between the rough rope and the smooth surface of the letters should be cool. I also need a straight rope section, 12" long .8" deep 1.625" wide. I need it to be tileable with smooth tansitions. I hope someone can help out!

I sent a question in to software support asking how to use the tweek rotate tool in the pattern editor, but never got an answer from them. On the phone to LHR a tech. told me that it does not work and is a known problem. I have a 2ft+ scan that I am stitching together to make a 6ft+ piece. There is about 1/4 inch difference over the 6ft after I shift the 3 sections to match end to end. If LHR fixes this known problem, the author of the rope pattern can fix your problem. Nice horses by the way. Where did you get the pattern?
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    I sent a question in to software support asking how to use the tweek rotate tool in the pattern editor, but never got an answer from them. On the phone to LHR a tech. told me that it does not work and is a known problem. I have a 2ft+ scan that I am stitching together to make a 6ft+ piece. There is about 1/4 inch difference over the 6ft after I shift the 3 sections to match end to end. If LHR fixes this known problem, the author of the rope pattern can fix your problem. Nice horses by the way. Where did you get the pattern?
    Clint
    Hello Clint,

The Rotate Tweak Tool has always worked for me...what kind of issue are you seeing?...and, more importantly, what did Tech Support say didn't work about it??

Saw/noticed just now where you were asking how to use it...once you are in PE with a pattern in the display, click the Tweak Tool. You will see a Cross Hair on-screen...this is the center of rotation. Move the pattern until the Crosshair is located where you want the pattern to rotate around/from (you can move the pattern either by moving the slider bars in the right-hand window, or (what I use) is the shortcut of Shift-right-click mouse button and hold while moving the pattern. Release when located appropriately.

Now, left-click at your starting angle point (you are drawing a line), then move your mouse to the end point of your angle and click once more. You will see the pattern has rotated. It will take a bit of practice to get the hang of the tool, but as far as I know it's working. One thing you will also notice, after the pattern has been rotated, the Crosshair appears to have changed position which can be a little distracting at first. If at anytime you are not happy with the angle, you can Undo (or shortcut Ctrl-z) and start over.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 06-18-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

you should b able to use it arbitrarily (enter numbers). photoshop has a ruler tool for this. I got the horses from the grayscale post that Pratekya(?) posted. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ight=grayscale

Quote Originally Posted by badbert View Post
    I certainly don't want to appear ungrateful or petty. All of the rope patterns I find are just a little skewed or uneven. We have decided to carry the rope theme throughout our home. This will require a more accurate rope. Most of you have seen my stallion door header. the rope that I used to surround stallions was inaccurate and a little crooked. it required a lot of post carving work to look anywhere near realistic. so I am requesting a more accurate rendering of a rope. Or rather two ropes. For the sides of my entry door. I want to carve rope columns. They will be 4.5" wide .8" deep 80" long. I will impose my address on one side and street on the other. The problem... At that size the rope looks like a barber pole. That size rope is made up of smaller ropes. The contrast between the rough rope and the smooth surface of the letters should be cool. I also need a straight rope section, 12" long .8" deep 1.625" wide. I need it to be tileable with smooth tansitions. I hope someone can help out!
    Will This Work? The MPC would not post, it was over 1MB (1.65MB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rope 5_DISP-cw2.jpg   Rope 5_DISP-cw.jpg  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 06-18-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

It might unfortunately I am laid up for a few days, and "Bucky" blew a belt. I ordered 2 sets, should be here Friday.

here is another one for you..rope is very easy to make in 3d...think this is what your lookn for based off description

not for e-bay sales by unknown sellers or known ones..not for resale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ropesc.jpg  
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Quote Originally Posted by jpaluck View Post
    here is another one for you..rope is very easy to make in 3d...think this is what your lookn for based off description

not for e-bay sales by unknown sellers or known ones..not for resale
    Now that is a rope! It looks to be exactly what I am looking for! Everything happens for a reason! now I know why Bucky blew a belt, so I didn't waste wood cutting the old pattern! As soon as I am back on my feet and Bucky gets her new belts I will post the results! Thank you all so much!

So... I made it out of bed, with inspiration for this new rope! It tiles perfectly, And it resizes to fit both needs. Thank you so much!

Glad you like it Bert..is very easy to do
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast