Thread: Installed new Carvetight Spindle Assy - Cut depth problem

Default Installed new Carvetight Spindle Assy - Cut depth problem

I decided to install my CarveTight Assy after having it for 6 months.....haven't used my machine. Started a new carving and about 70% complete it changed depth of cut and was cutting air. I stopped it and checked the bit to see if it had moved and it had not. I then started a new carve and at about 35% complete it went about .250 deeper suddenly and then started carving through the .750 thick piece. I stopped the machine and the bit is not loose or has not moved (I set it' at 1.625 from shoulder of collar holder. I know with the quick change chuck it sometimes worked loose but there was no sign of this with the CarveTight. I have carved over 150 projects and also have a second machine which I've had for 4 1/2 years. I did a search but no leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg_man View Post
    I decided to install my CarveTight Assy after having it for 6 months.....haven't used my machine. Started a new carving and about 70% complete it changed depth of cut and was cutting air. I stopped it and checked the bit to see if it had moved and it had not. I then started a new carve and at about 35% complete it went about .250 deeper suddenly and then started carving through the .750 thick piece. I stopped the machine and the bit is not loose or has not moved (I set it' at 1.625 from shoulder of collar holder. I know with the quick change chuck it sometimes worked loose but there was no sign of this with the CarveTight. I have carved over 150 projects and also have a second machine which I've had for 4 1/2 years. I did a search but no leads.
    I think there are two possible causes.
    1) You are not using the new carving bit, with the pressed-on sleeve.
    2) The disc on the back of the Z-Motor pack is loose.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    I think there are two possible causes.
    1) You are not using the new carving bit, with the pressed-on sleeve.
    2) The disc on the back of the Z-Motor pack is loose.
    AskBud
    I'm using split collet for 1/4" bits in the carvetight............don't appear to be slipping. I checked the Z axis sensor (using the Options menu) and when moving it up and down it repeats within .002/.005 at each extreme movement. I will check the disc............thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg_man View Post
    I'm using split collet for 1/4" bits in the carvetight............don't appear to be slipping. I checked the Z axis sensor (using the Options menu) and when moving it up and down it repeats within .002/.005 at each extreme movement. I will check the disc............thanks
    LHR suggests that you NOT use a split collet with the carving bits, as they have a carbide shank. The carbide does not allow for a proper compression by a split collet due to the hardness of the carbide.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Dirty encoder?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

6. Default

I know they say your not supposed to use split Collet for carving and cutting bits but I have been doing so for over a year with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by unknowncarver View Post
    I know they say your not supposed to use split Collet for carving and cutting bits but I have been doing so for over a year with no issues.
    I agree............Iworked for Rockwell Air Tools for over 33 years and we used them in our tools with no problem......I checked the tool length before and after the carve and it had not moved at all......I did find dust in the Z encoder and am now trying another carve. I also ordered the new solid collar bit just in case. I used the split collar because of the number of bits I have on hand (Over 15 1/4" bits) as I have not converted my other machine as yet. I believe if I was cutting metal there may be a point as to slipping but not cutting wood.

It is possible that the 2 screws on the back of the new CT Truck are loose letting the Z Belt slip causing all the problems. This is a know problem with some refurbished Trucks in the past.... I even got one.

OR the FSC Cable is bad...

OR like they say, dusty encoder....

OR the Roller Rail Bearings are stuck...

OR the Roller Rail Bearing Screws are loose...

OR the Roller Rail Bearing is not adjusted to close all the way on the rails...

OR the Screws into the Z Motor or Gear Box are loose....

OR you damaged a Z Gear Box plastic removing the Flex to start the replacement. I did that....

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com