Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: painful XI - cherry and mahogany shadow box

Default painful XI - cherry and mahogany shadow box

I think I'm going to start signing and naming my pieces after how many times they made me bleed.... my poor fingers are full of cherry splinters, a hole from a pin nailer, and several scrapes and bashes. It all started when I dropped a large cherry slab on my fingers at the lumberyard and it hasn't gotten any better...

So the customer, asked for some very specific things for this shadow box for his Father for Father's day... he wanted

1. the "old" MSgt stripes in the background... in cherry
    2. A curved top and bottom... no curved facade over a square box like I normally make
    3. Lights... battery powered lights...

This created several challenges, but I got 'er done (just in time for vacation)

The "stripes" are in a 1/4 piece of cherry ply- on a 1/2 piece of MDF - to attach the pieces in the shadowbox, 1/2 inch rare earth magnets are attached to the back of the ply through holes in the mdf. The top and bottom are attached to the MDF and were created by cutting cherry veneer and cold forming a sandwich into the desired shape with a form made from 3/4 MDF. The sides come on and off to reveal the battery pack on each side. They are held in place with rare earth magnets. The front glass and frame are held on with pocket screws attached to the sides which are covered up by the panels. The switch is on the bottom and I've included a plug in case he ever wants to run off mains power instead of batteries. The plexiglass (broke 3 pieces of real glass trying to cut the convex on top of the stripes) is cut, but has been removed for pictures/finish. The whole thing hangs on a french cleat that has been hard mounted through the MDF for a secure hold. The finish is a very light 1/2 # shellac washcoat buffed out with a 3m pad - then 5 coats of oil/poly mix wet sanded in followed by one final coat.

Thanks for looking, this one was a genuine challenge on several levels and I hope the customer will be pleased with both the overall piece and way I met his design challenges.

Lawrence

Job well done Lawrence! It should make both father and son very happy!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Nice work congrats!

Very awesome Lawrence, I know that the customer is going to love it.

Great work, Lawrence. I am sure it will be well received...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Very well done Lawrence. I hope that their appreciation heals your wounds shortly.
    I like your lighting of the box.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Beautiful, Lawerence. Something that will be cherished a long time.

Capt Barry

WOW....!!! Well done....!

GREAT WORK TOO.... I also offer some Epoxy Domed Logo's for your work too if you want... Just need a great color picture of the patch or logo and the size you need....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast