Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NeoClassical Keepsake Box technique

Default NeoClassical Keepsake Box technique

Not sure what to call this technique, so that explains the title.
    I am looking for a way to place an ovel on my design and, instead of leaving the inside flat, it is arched...just like the rectangular top of the NeoClassical Keepsake Box
    I am sure that it is simple and that, once I get an answer, I will feel stupid....but, what the heck.
    Can anyone help me out?

Create your oval, choose carve region and set your depth. Then choose select surface, and find double down dome. This may be what you are looking for. Also setting the height to 999 will bring the center of the dome closer to the surface of the design.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by rickbull View Post
    Not sure what to call this technique, so that explains the title.
    I am looking for a way to place an ovel on my design and, instead of leaving the inside flat, it is arched...just like the rectangular top of the NeoClassical Keepsake Box
    I am sure that it is simple and that, once I get an answer, I will feel stupid....but, what the heck.
    Can anyone help me out?
    Looks like your image (URL) is not on the LHR server. Is this the way you need the Oval?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails not found.jpg   Oval pattern 2xcw.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Thank you. This looks like what I am looking for. But I have one more for you. And it may have to do with Additive and Subtractive (I still dont quite understand those completely) What if I want to put an oval around the first oval...one with its own arch.
    But not like the first arch. The second oval will look kind of like putting a donut around the first oval.

Yes, those are perfect! Thank you! But Ill ask you too....I have one more for you. And it may have to do with Additive and Subtractive (I still dont quite understand those completely) What if I want to put an oval around the first oval...one with its own arch.
    But not like the first arch. The second oval will look kind of like putting a donut around the first oval.

OK, I just looked at the project that you provided. It is actually perfect, but it doesnt look like it is done like I expected. Is that a pattern that makes the arch?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbull View Post
    OK, I just looked at the project that you provided. It is actually perfect, but it doesnt look like it is done like I expected. Is that a pattern that makes the arch?
    Yes it is a pattern, I made the PTN with the Wolfie's Gradient Designer. You can also use CorelDRAW or Illustrator.

Is this what you want that looks like a donut?

The MPC file is too large to post on this forum, PM your e-mail to me - I can send you the file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oval Donut 2.jpg   Wolfies Gradient Designer.jpg   Donut 2.jpg  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 05-25-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I just bought the neoclassical keepsake box. Step 3 and 4 seem to conflict to me. Step 3 I'm on the lid. Step 4 I flip the lid and begin carving the front side of the frame. These instructions leave me clueless after step 3 * Select Carving Bit- 1/16. Why flip the lid Step 4? Why is it called a picture frame in step 3?

I think the designer of project was trying to combine the instructional steps for the sides and the lid. The lid is only a one sided carve so you won't need to flip it over. The long and short sides are two sided carves. In this case, the back will carve first and then the board will need to be flipped to carve the front. Be sure to flip them "side to side" and not "end to end".
    Steve

Hey thanks Steve. You know I kind of figured that out but, for $40 you would think the instructions would be accurate! Now, one more question please. The photo's also suck. Is it a 1/8 groove or rabbit on the inside tray that the luan slides into? if so how far from the bottom are the grooves located? It looks like a rabbit but says they are grooves but does not give dimensions from the bottom or top of the 4 pieces to cut the groove. I am so sorry for appearing to be so oblivious in this but I completed a reading precision drawing class and worked as a machinist for 20 years. I just don;t want to cut up $60 worth of wood to make scrap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast