Thread: Flex shaft spring damage.

korney Guest

Thumbs up Flex shaft spring damage.

To make a long story short,the spring fell out of the flex shaft and I stepped on it. The damage yielded the spring useless. I found a replacement at McMaster-Carr(mcmaster.com). The spring is .250 OD,
    .020 inch wire diameter. and is 20 inches long. The length is too short but the SS compression spring is wound tight and can carefully be streched to 36 inches. I have used the new spring for a short time and it appears to be working fine. The spring is not available from CW without buying the entire shaft assembly ($75 I think) The Part # from McMaster's is 9663K16 and costs $4.30. I'm not recommending it but I think it is worth a try if you need a replacement spring.

Good to know and good job thinking outside the box.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks for the info and please be sure to update htis post as you get more carving time on your machine.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Good to know and good job thinking outside the box.

AL
    I agree with Al good job, we need to think outside the box with our babies! Ouch $75.00 for a flexshaft! I tried looking it up in Sears parts and tried getting help by using the chat help, but it doesn't work when after 4 plus years the staff still doesn't know what is a CC!

I have been using my flex with a repaired housing for over a year! I had a burn spot at the bend and another burned housing so I used a section of it and cut and spliced it onto my current flex and still going today! I bet shrink tape would work too.

Just some food for thought!

Ike

I went to the link provided with no luck. It appeared to be a website to other links. Can you give more info? I even searched the "spring 9663k16" and it only came up with "Sprint" from the web addree you gave.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Thanks for the info.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

is this the same spring in the carvewright

i ordered 2 springs to try