Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z axis stall

Sorry but I am really curious about your dust collector mystery. Is it metal? Does it screw up the machine if it just touches. Is it grounded? Does it stress the casing of the machine? My thought was that something on your machine might be barely connected or some electronic part barely in working range.

I am starting to wonder if the Board Sensor has a broken LED and with the Dust Collector OUT the ROOM LIGHT gets to the Board and REFLECTS... With the collector in, the light is blocked and hence a problem....

I just posted the Sensor stuff about the LED's Snapping Off and how to use Options and get the number on the LCD with White Paper... It could be a bad sensor.... OR... a BAD FSC Cable and the 6 inch Y Travel and the FSC Cable is Broke... Then the 8 inch... The FSC Cable is getting worse.... A broken wire touching less often.... The FSC Cable is a Consumable.... Needs to be replaced when damaged but will last YEARS if no sharp bends...

Check out the other post with pictures.

Good Luck,

AL

You can always email me or call for advice. But I would order a Board Sensor and a FSC Cable.... Don't forget about Cut Motor Brushes for 250 Cut Hours, the Y Gear Box Bearings, the X Drive Gear, and Roller Bearings and Screws.... SAVE on Shipping NOW by ordering together.. NOW.. Less Waiting later.... IF you can swing it...
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Sorry but I am really curious about your dust collector mystery. Is it metal? Does it screw up the machine if it just touches. Is it grounded? Does it stress the casing of the machine? My thought was that something on your machine might be barely connected or some electronic part barely in working range.
    ... Its an oddity to be sure... The hood I built is wood, there is enough clearances for the spindle to not touch the hood when its in. The hood just sits in place on the top of the front rollers, that ledge thats there. Its held in place from moving forward or backwards by a clip that sits over the lip of that roller ledge. I have a 4inch sewer pipe thats fitted to the hood and it pokes out the hole I cut in the lid of the machine. The dust collector system connects to that by a foil flex hose and thats onto a 4 inch sewer piping to my dust collector... And I have cooper wire wrapping the foil and sewer piping, grounding the whole shebang.. I should get some pics if I can...

Its a baby sitting thing rather than a problem, for me... Its would be nice if I could get the machine to go thru the setup and carve with it in... but no big deal... Now... it would be nice if I could just get this thing to carve longer than just a few projects without breaking down... I'll try and post a few pics here if you want to see what I've done...

brian

Hi Al... thx for your input... unfortunately I'm not in a position for ordering a lot of parts... My physical condition due to accident has left me un-employable and this machine was supposed to help me keep my hands busy... It was a lot less frustrating flying rc helicopters than this machine is... So far its had more down time than running time... I have limited endurance before the pain drives me out of the shop, so when I have to try and coax this machine into actually doing anything just gets to be to much... This thing has been super sensitive to vibration, heat and dust... who'da thunk it would encounter any of these conditions???

I replaced the board sensor just last year with the new one, the one thats supposed to be more robust, glued... I have run a total of 5 projects on it since changing it out... 3 christmas wreaths and a couple small apples on a 1x6, and a small house number sign... Anyrate... I'll start with the cables and go from there... I'm seriously thinking of just getting it running and selling it... its been a money pit with little to show for what its produced... When it does work... works fine... but thats only when its actually working... Don't mean to rant but its to the point of frustration with this pos that I'd rather endure a 1000 paper cuts than try and baby this thing to work or spend more money into it... The heli's are looking better every day...

cheers

Going to try and post some pics here... Took them with my cell phone so quality isn't the greatest... Also these are right after the machine got thru half a carve before deciding to z axis my project to death... So you can see that the dust collection is pretty good. I haven't blown anything out with compressed air yet...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck-to-rt.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	53501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Closed-up-rt-side.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	53502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dust-collector-connect.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	53503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front-closedup.jpg 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	53504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hood-clip.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	53505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hood-in-lid-closed.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	53506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside-wires.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	53507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Open-lid.jpg 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	53508

Maybe you do have two separate problems. That dust collector looks very wide. Could it be as Floyd said, that the dust collector interferes with the swinging out of the bit plate? As for the z stall, maybe Al is right about the FFC wire. I notice you live here in Canada, so like me, you are on your own! You may have to get the machine out of the box and continue to trouble shoot. It may be that the FFC wire is just loose.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Maybe you do have two separate problems. That dust collector looks very wide. Could it be as Floyd said, that the dust collector interferes with the swinging out of the bit plate? As for the z stall, maybe Al is right about the FFC wire. I notice you live here in Canada, so like me, you are on your own! You may have to get the machine out of the box and continue to trouble shoot. It may be that the FFC wire is just loose.
    I originally thought this to be the case so I had just placed the hood in and watched it while it went thru the finding bit. The plate and truck with the bit have the clearances needed and nothing rubs or prevents them from full movement... I couldn't figure out WHY it would find the bit, click click... touch the plate... then center itself and ask for a bit... then repeat itself for as long as I was willing to repeat the process... it wins... I remove the hood and it finds the bit then does the board check, homing etc... I originally thought it was maybe to dark in the unit and the sensors couldn't see properly but this shouldn't have any affect on finding the bit...

I think I'm going to have to dismantle the box, remove the machine and tear it down... doesn't appear to be any way around this... then try by guess'n by golly replacing parts until it clears up... If I do this I might just as well fabricate covers to cover up exposed circuitry and put sheathing over all the exposed wires... Maybe put in some LED's to light up the inside so the sensors can 'see' the wood inside the machine... Things that should have been done from the design stage... Time to modify and tweak I guess...

8. Default

This is very interesting. Brings up some questions for me though. First, how does your machine know that the dust collector is in place? Something has to be touching, rubbing, displacing a loose wire or interfering in some manner that is preventing the machine from finding the bit. Second, isn't the board sensor IR? Ambient lighting should have little effect on it i would think.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    This is very interesting. Brings up some questions for me though. First, how does your machine know that the dust collector is in place? Something has to be touching, rubbing, displacing a loose wire or interfering in some manner that is preventing the machine from finding the bit. Second, isn't the board sensor IR? Ambient lighting should have little effect on it i would think.
    Well I have puzzled over this for many hours myself... and I am absolutely no closer to finding out than when it first started... The truck moves freely over to the bit plate, it does not rub or touch anything... It travels fully over to the far side, bit plate... the plate pops out, spindle lowers the bit, touches it, raises, does its click click, lowers and touches the plate then centers itself.... I have watched it do it probably two dozen times, min, to see if it touches anything... it doesn't... As for displacing a loose wire... it can't because all the wiring is on the other side of the machine, rear rollers... this just sits on top of the front rollers... Remove the hood and away it goes... its a poser...

Its an oddity to be sure but its not responsible for the z axis stall because once the carve begins I can pause the machine, place the hood in and it continues just fine... Also if the chuck were to hit or rub the hood when running I'd hear it right away, wouldn't be something you could miss... This happened to me when I first installed the hood last spring. I didn't have enough slack in the flex pipe and it lifted the front of the hood up by about a 1/2 inch. Enough so the chuck ran against the hood top, 1/8th ply, made lots of noise which I shut down immediately... Hasn't done this since putting a longer piece of hose onto the 4 inch pipe...

As for the board sensors I could light up the inside of the machine with IR LED's to see if finding the boards edges would make it easier for the sensors to see... Just going thru some ideas to take some of the frustration out of this thing.... I'm thinking that if I have to dismantle the thing I might as well try tweaking it some as well... I have a product called ShapeLock that I can use to make moulded covers to keep electronics from loading up with dust etc etc.. Sheathing costs next to nothing... I might even have the right ends for making wires for this machine and will just make my own... Still have lots of wire, connectors etc etc from flying rc heli's... I'm either going to get it working, just a matter of time...

Just brain storming now:

What bit is this happening with?

Does the bit plate stay in the horizontal position? Meaning there is no excessive flop or play in the bit plate when the bit touches it.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast